Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Opening single picture theater
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Opening single picture theater

Opening single picture theater 14 Dec 2006 16:57 #13881

• crawfex
  • Fresh Boarder
I live in a bustling city of 210,000 which has been experiencing serious growth for the last decade, and shows no sign of slowing. I am interested in opening a single picture theater that has been closed for about 5 yrs now. My intentions are to make it into an arthouse/independent movie house serving wine, beer and concessions. The loby is huge and could be used as a place for socilizing and networking much like a nice lounge(great date night). There are several big cinemas in the area that are doing extremly well. However, the cinemas are attracting the usual crowds and I feel there is a niche to target an older and more professional group. I am still open to capturing other audiences but keeping Friday and Saturday nite for this group. Austin has a similar concept but on a much larger scale. This idea is on the ground level. I have no experiene in the theater business however my possible partner worked the same movie house in college. I am open for comments and hope to gain some valuable insight.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Opening single picture theater 14 Dec 2006 18:16 #13882

Crawfex,
After (obviously) checking the physical shape of the building and the cost to renovate and open, you will also want to check your local liquor codes and get a liquor liability estimate from a insurer. Those can be your biggest roadblocks.

You would probably want to go alt/indie/art
7 nights a week and create your own niche.
We found the best combination is simply going with a beer/wine license, and minimal food (tapas, wraps, etc)- it eliminates the
need for a full scale kitchen facility, and
the headaches it can bring.

It can be a really fun (and successful) business concept- we have been running one for over 14 years. Best of luck

Re: Opening single picture theater 14 Dec 2006 19:05 #13883

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
All I can say is...if I had that population, and the money to do what you want...I wouldn't hesitate. Good luck!!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction