• Page:

TOPIC: Where to apply for grants

Where to apply for grants 02 Dec 2006 19:30 #13741

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Slapintheface wrote in another topic:

"grants will come if you can show historical value,developement zone........"

Where are these grants offered?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Where to apply for grants 03 Dec 2006 13:48 #13742

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for asking Burney, I was really pondering that one myself. I've never seen any evidence of anything being available to theater owners other than low interest rate loans with the support of the local city backing Industrial Revenue Bonds. I doubt that there is anything else available for a for profit theater. Maybe leeler can add something of his experiences with a not for profit startup.

[This message has been edited by BECKWITH1 (edited December 04, 2006).]

Re: Where to apply for grants 03 Dec 2006 14:08 #13743

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Well, I'll add what I can. Before I became aware of my theater a committee of locals formed and was granted a non-profit 501c status. I think the reason for this was in being able to attain grants and for tax reasons but I may be off base here. Anyways, they met regularly and attained two grants. The first, larger grant was from the Main Street Iowa program which helps fund projects that help rejuvenate small towns. The second smaller grant was from the local gaming commission which regularly grants money to the towns in the county they serve. Combined these grants made the theater renovation a possibility. I then purchased the partially renovated building from this committee and have been running it ever since as a for profit enterprise (not that I've seen lots of profit mind you). I wish I could add more but the application and grant writing was done largely before I became involved. I really think the key is the non-profit group and its' status.

Has anyone else been involved with a theater refurb via a non-profit?
"What a crazy business"

Re: Where to apply for grants 03 Dec 2006 14:46 #13744

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I applied recently for two tobacco fund grants, one for each of my theatres, through my county. I was not selected for either, but will try again next year. This was the first time I had even heard of a grant that was open to for-profits as well as not-for-profits. No for-profits were selected as award winners.

Re: Where to apply for grants 03 Dec 2006 20:14 #13745

• juise15
  • Expert Boarder
SO would it be beneficial to open a theater as a nonprofit group rather than for profit. How would that work with business?
Justin Toney
Creative Multimedia

"Inspiration is only a thought away"

Re: Where to apply for grants 04 Dec 2006 14:12 #13746

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I often wished I had pursued that path (non-profit). I think there are pros and cons. With a non-profit I guess you have a board that makes the decisions rather than following your own ideas. With a non-profit, you might be able to secure your salary, where going alone you are the last one paid.

Now that I have completed, and paid for, all my major repairs, upgrades, and refurbishments, I now will be seeing a profit--one that I do not want to share with a board.

Re: Where to apply for grants 04 Dec 2006 18:46 #13747

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
This is a state by state issue and also city by city and town by town. There are no national grants but many states have the program such as the Iowa Main Street. Also: there are TIF's (tax increment financing) which can help in construction/projects if the town is the least bit awake. Start by contacting your local econ development people, your main street program, the historic preservation people, etc. etc. I worked with a PA> theatre that had a 1 million grant as a Pa. downtown "key buildings" grant. As for non profit or not: the time always comes when it is time for a new owner. One day: it may be a local non profit who wants to take over and run a much loved local theatre. It's good to know who and what non profs are all about before you get to that point.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction