Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby How to start in a small town
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to start in a small town

How to start in a small town 25 Nov 2006 17:38 #13734

• TmYust
  • Fresh Boarder
I am looking to open a one screen theater in a small town with a pop. of about 250 people. But their are about 6 small towns with about the same pop. close by. The nearest town with a theater is 45 min away.
I just want to show older movies. No new releases. I want to show movies from the 80's to present.
I will be building my theater out of a prefab metal building. With folding chairs. This is a nice country town that would love it this way. I just need ideas and help.
Thanks a bunch

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How to start in a small town 25 Nov 2006 20:02 #13735

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
Wow. Read the archives here thoroughly. Your heart and reality may not meet.

Re: How to start in a small town 26 Nov 2006 00:26 #13736

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Forget the folding chairs. Your county building department and fire department won't allow them in a theater. You're considered a "place of assembly" and must have "fixed" (bolted to the floor) seats. In some jurisdictions the seat fabrics must be flameproof and have a manufacturer's certificate of the flameproofing treatment on file with the local fire department. Also, any draperies or fabrics applied to the walls must be flameproofed. You'll need those drapes on the wall for acoustics (prevents echoes and enhances intelligibilty of movie dialog).

Re: How to start in a small town 26 Nov 2006 01:18 #13737

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
That is a tough sell. To do what you want on the side and have first run also would be a better idea.
I don't know if a small town like yours will be able to provide you with the ticket sale you need to continue operation.
Maybe consider classics, art house, Indies and occasionally first run Hollywood. Give them a mix!

Re: How to start in a small town 26 Nov 2006 12:54 #13738

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
I like jackers idea. Almost every distributor has a classics division. You might also consider making it a private film club requiring annual membership fees. Then offer reduced admission for members and a higher admission for "guests". That way you may get around a lot of rules and regulations.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: How to start in a small town 02 Dec 2006 18:35 #13739

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I liked the diea of film club. A guy shows dvd's at the local library here and then leads discussion. I would do a video projector and keep it simple. And I don't care how small the town is: people want a comfy seat.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction