Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby How often do you run ads?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How often do you run ads?

How often do you run ads? 09 Nov 2006 14:16 #13623

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I know there have been other threads on what forms of advertising, newspaper, internet, marquee etc. but I was courious if people run ads everyday in the newspaper.

1) In the newspaper do you run your ad everyday?

2) Is it the same ad everyday or do you decrease size on the weekdays?

3) If you do not run an ad everyday do you notice any change in business?

My answers:
1)We run the ad on weekends and Monday and Wed during the week.

2) It is the same ad but it is small.

3) This is why I am asking. When we first started to skip days in the newspaper my fater-in-law said he saw no change in business. He felt the phone did most of the advertisig during the week. The newspaper was a needed for some customers but not all. I know phone traffic is way down and internet has replaced some but am I lossing people because there is not ad on Tuesday and Thursday?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How often do you run ads? 09 Nov 2006 23:48 #13624

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Historicly speaking, movie theatres for most of their existence used newspaper advertising as the main source for informing the theatre going public as to what is, and/or will be playing. That meant advertising in your local newspaper(s) on a daily basis. Of course, that was before the internet, and unbelievable high rates in newspapers.

Today I don't think that newspaper advertising is nearly as important, although still needed. It is seldom used to SELL a picture these days, but rather just to inform the public where a picture is playing and when.

Years ago making the ads for a single screen theatre was one of the most fun and important parts of a managers job. At the large theatres in big cities, it was often a full time position to be the advertising and promotion director.

I miss those wonderful large and artisic ads that filled the amusement page(es) of every newspaper.

What I currently do in the way of newspaper advertising is as follows: I advertise in our large metropolitan daily every Fri., Sat., Sun. and Wed. Keep in mind that this is a single screen theatre. I run a 1 col. x 1 1/2 in. ad on Fri. & Sat. and a 1 col. x 1 in. ad on Sun. and Wed. I still think it's necessary to be there on the weekends. The only reason I run an ad on Wed. is because that is the only weekday that I run a matinee, and I want to remind people of that fact.

About 10 years ago I dropped the ad on Mon., then a couple of years later on Thurs. and finally about 4 or 5 years ago dropped Tues. as well. Each time I dropped an ad I charted the drop in business against the other weekdays with ads, as well as the same days from previous years when I had run ads.
What did I find? The amount in dollar loss from box office and concession was less then the cost of the ads. So why run the ads?

During the summer I run matinees every Sun. through Thurs. I therefore run an ad on Mon. during those summer weeks to remind folks that we have the extra matinees. The past two summers the strangest thing has happened. Tues. and Thurs. which are the two days without a newspaper ad are the two best weekdays for business. Go figure!

I also run a larger ad, usually 1 col. x 5 in. in 4 local weekly papers that naturally list the complete show schedule for the entire weeks run. I was taught that the total advertising budget should be around 7%, but not to exceed 10% of box office gross. I usually fall somewhere between those figures.

Most important today though is your website and your weekly e-mail newsletter. Eventually, newspaper advertising may not be needed at all.

[This message has been edited by RoxyVaudeville (edited November 09, 2006).]

Re: How often do you run ads? 10 Nov 2006 07:38 #13625

• Senior Boarder
We run ads once a week in two papers, an 1/8 page in each. We have a weekly paper that comes out on Wednesdays, and in the daily, we run in their weekend section. We have an older theatre in a neighboring town that runs daily in our papers, but they don't have a website. We've done this since opening in Dec. 04, and had a few complaints at first that we weren't in daily, but with the phone and website, they got used to it. Without major competition, it won't hurt, although it may take some time for your customers to get used to. If they want to see a movie, they'll go. Our showtimes stay pretty predictable (except those dang 3 hour movies!)

Re: How often do you run ads? 10 Nov 2006 12:17 #13626

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Our experience is pretty close to Roxy's. In 1986, we were running 2-column by 5 or 6" ads... every day! So were the other theatres in this market.

Today, I'm running 1x1.5" directory ads (text only... shows, ratings and times). So do the other theatres here. I'm spending the same money on the paper!

The display ads are all placed by the studios, and we participate in those.

Occasional failures to insert our ad are noticed by few customers. However, anything we do wrong with our web site causes near-riots. I wish our relationship with the local paper was as reasonably priced as the one we have with our web host!

Re: How often do you run ads? 11 Nov 2006 13:35 #13627

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
6 weekly newpaper ads / no dailies or any that we could afford or would apply

every calander we can get in on

e mail to 3000 subscribers

web site

telephone

signed up for a local TV local access and they run our movies and show times now

marquee

30 posters with show times around town

"take one" posters/ tear sheets at theatre

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: How often do you run ads? 13 Nov 2006 10:22 #13628

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
Mike,

Where do you put your posters around town? I see the mall theatres put posters around the mall in ad stands but I don't know where I as a little guy would put a poster.

Re: How often do you run ads? 14 Nov 2006 02:47 #13629

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I used to put flyers up all over the place for about 50 miles down the highway. It was a major task, but I had to do it. I put the flyers up on bulletin boards at supermarkets, post offices, laundry mats, Mom & Pop stores, real estate offices, etc.
My competitor put theirs up, so I had to. When I bought out the competitor, I quit putting the ads up. I got a few complaints in the beginning, but now they know to check their email for my newsletter, check my website, or simply call.

I used to advertise in the two local weekly papers also. But it was quite expensive and the papers come out on Tuesday and Wednesday. The papers are used as fire starters before Friday. I heard from maybe two people in five years about not advertising in the newspaper.

I also used to advertise on our local cable channel on TV. But then I realized it only reached about a quarter of my population draw area and who sits and reads those ads anyway. No complaints when I stopped that.

I hear alot of complaints when I send out my newsletter late or when I mess up on the cut and paste and screw something up in it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction