Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Borat vs. Snakes on the Plane

Borat vs. Snakes on the Plane 01 Nov 2006 08:11 #13603

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I heard an interesting story this AM on the radio. It was about how New Line bought into all the teen and internet hype and rushed along promoting the hell out of what they knew to be a B movie and lived to be sorry for it. Borat/ FOX has done the opposite refusing to fall for the extraneous hype (citing Snakes as why) and keeping Borat to a limit of 800 +/-. And we thought the studios couldn't learn?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Borat vs. Snakes on the Plane 02 Nov 2006 07:19 #13604

• theBigE
  • Expert Boarder
Mike, you're right, they sound like similar situations. I bought into the internet hype and thought SOAP would do boffo business, and it didn't.

I think the big difference is, Borat is truly hilarious. I saw it this summer and it was difficult to hear main sections of dialouge from the non-stop laughter of the audience. This movie is down-right funny! But also completely offensive.

I'm guessing Borat won't play so well in middle-America and smaller markets, but if you have a large college crowd, it could be a real hit. Also, I'm guessing lots of repeat and word-of-mouth business. It's that funny.

Re: Borat vs. Snakes on the Plane 02 Nov 2006 07:51 #13605

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
This will do much better than plane because ..................people dont like snakes and dont like to fly .....the combo was too much ....i called that weeks before it came out........this is just funny,,,,,,,,,

Re: Borat vs. Snakes on the Plane 04 Nov 2006 11:29 #13606

• theBigE
  • Expert Boarder
Early word has Borat topping Santa Clause 3 this weekend, despite playing on 1/4 as many screens! Anyone showing it this weekend? How's it doing for you?

[This message has been edited by theBigE (edited November 04, 2006).]

Re: Borat vs. Snakes on the Plane 04 Nov 2006 21:34 #13607

• Mike
  • Administrator
I passed on Clause 3 because I am not going for a 4 week deal on that pic and could not get Borat for this Fri as they went low with 800 prints.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Borat vs. Snakes on the Plane 04 Nov 2006 21:34 #13608

• Mike
  • Administrator
I passed on Clause 3 because I am not going for a 4 week deal on that pic and could not get Borat for this Fri as they went low with 800 prints.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Borat vs. Snakes on the Plane 05 Nov 2006 14:15 #13609

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Borat # 1 with just over 800 screens! Never thought that the movie would generate like that!! I wish snakes had performed like this. Though I wonder if it will it play well in the smaller markets this strongly?

Re: Borat vs. Snakes on the Plane 05 Nov 2006 17:09 #13610

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
As wonderfully as it is performing I still have my doubts about my conservative crowd getting into it. I'm kicking butt with 'Open Season' though so I can't complain.
"What a crazy business"

Re: Borat vs. Snakes on the Plane 09 Nov 2006 00:48 #13611

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I have reservations about playing BORAT in my small communities. But, I saw the movie yesterday with a very conservative friend. We both laughed all the way through it. I was very skeptical and thought it would just be stupid. It was stupid, but very funny. I think it was a wise move to open it slowly. Word of mouth should increase the hype on this movie.

Re: Borat vs. Snakes on the Plane 10 Nov 2006 07:45 #13612

• Senior Boarder
We had enough screens to play both Santa Claus last weekend (which is good since we sold out a few shows) and Borat this weekend. We are a small, conservative community, but I have Borat on our largest screen. I am a conservative WOMAN who couldn't quit laughing, this movie is disturbing on so many levels, why is it so funny? I have no idea, but it is.

Re: Borat vs. Snakes on the Plane 12 Nov 2006 19:18 #13613

• Mike
  • Administrator
the reason Borat is funny is age old basic humor: read the NY Times artciles this weekend on funny movies and it makes a lot of sense. Fat naked guy wrestles skinny naked guy? That is about as basic as it gets. I saw it Sat night and I have rarely heard an audience laugh so loud-so long-groan-and scream. It sure beats TV. As to the anti semetic BS: Today in IRaq the speaker of the house or his equivalent said that all the bombings were being done by the Jews. In case no one gets it: Borat is making fun of those crazy people.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Borat vs. Snakes on the Plane 12 Nov 2006 21:23 #13614

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
It's movie check your brain at the door sit back,relax and have a great time.
This is the funniest movie of the year. everyone should get it and play it would make a great midnight movie on the weekends!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction