Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby used equip going cheap?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: used equip going cheap?

used equip going cheap? 04 Nov 2006 21:38 #13567

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
I wonder if with all the new digital screens coming on there will start to be a glut of used 35mm equip? Sounds good to me. Would you trade up even with digital in the offing?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: used equip going cheap? 05 Nov 2006 09:29 #13568

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
You better if you want to stay in bsns!

Re: used equip going cheap? 05 Nov 2006 23:09 #13569

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I see the digital projectors dropping in price over the next few years dramatically. The one that I am familiar with is so cool you can put regular DVDs and show them on the big screen by just playing play. Plus they take up less space then 35 mm projectors and one time you turn It on in the morning and it automatically plays all day.
It is sad to see 35 mm go but this is care free quality projection your getting.
I can't beleive I said that... but after seeing the quality of "Monster House" and now "Nightmare before Xmas" it is like looking through a window the qaulity is so good!

Re: used equip going cheap? 06 Nov 2006 02:19 #13570

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
The one that I am familiar with is so cool you can put regular DVDs and show them on the big screen by just playing play....

...after seeing the quality of "Monster House" and now "Nightmare before Xmas" it is like looking through a window the qaulity is so good! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No offense... but I don't see how a dvd-based setup can be made to approach what we have now... especially since there are still questions about the quality of the full-priced machines.

Whether digital cinema can match or surpass the quality of film is beside the point. If it does, I think they need to do their comparisons with real, live content... NOT CARTOON-BASED ANIMATION. Side-by-side comparison with installed film systems should be encouraged, which would go a long way toward convincing the nonbelievers. As far as I know, these kinds of comparisions are rare, if they happen at all. Why is that?

Many people will say that the computer-based content from the Star Wars films looked absolutely stunning in digital, while the live scenes had a dull, lifeless feel, without the detail that should have been present... especially on larger screens.

With animation and CGI based content, you have no realistic reference from which to base a comparison between film and digital, because you don't really know what the image was supposed to look like in the first place. CGI and hand-drawn content are figments of the creator's imagination, and therefore, the realism of the cinema playback is a matter of yours.

A Bugs Bunny cartoon could be shaded slightly green or blue. Fine detail and color nuance could be intentionally omitted to make the creation easier to produce, and you'd have no way to know that it wasn't done that way on purpose. In that light, you can not take computer-created content and use it to glow and burble over the wonders of digital projection and how it's virtually assured to be our future.

Ask yourself why most of the digital demos that get the greatest recent publicity are computer-based (Cars, Narnia, Nightmare, Chicken Little, etc). I think it's to prevent that true reference to reality, so you don't have a realistic baseline from which to evaluate what you're seeing. An honest demo shouldn't involve any content like that.

It may not be out of the question that digital could bring superior presentation to our audiences, but the use of imaginary content and the constant drumming about dirt, wear, fading and scratches on film really should stop.

[This message has been edited by rodeojack (edited November 06, 2006).]

Re: used equip going cheap? 06 Nov 2006 12:04 #13571

• Mike
  • Administrator
we're off subject here as this was a question about used equip becoming available but.......

I have seen many a film in digital (certainly not off a freaking DVD) projection: I just saw: Deja Vu, We Are Marshall, and more: they were spotless/ crisp/perfect/beautiful. No question they were ready for prime time.

Those were not shown on lower end dlp lcd 3000 ansi playing a dvd. They were as high end as it gets and the cost would simply be ajoke for any straight forward commerce transaction. All of the digi deals are complicated and have support and payback deals to my knowledge. They are not for the lower grossing venues. Or the faint of heart.

That said: do you think there will be more good used equip as the 35mm equip comes off?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: used equip going cheap? 06 Nov 2006 13:53 #13572

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Might be once the smaller chains and independents go digital. The big corporate chains seem to mostly always warehouse their not-in-use equipment.

Re: used equip going cheap? 06 Nov 2006 16:22 #13573

• Mike
  • Administrator
I suggested this idea to a dealer and he said "the chains will upgrade in their system and get rid of the worst stuff" .. but I still have to imagine that there will be more stuff on the market as digital screens edge out some 35mm.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction