Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: trailers

trailers 10 Dec 2004 15:07 #13300

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I have my side masking mounted on curtain rods and draw them in for flat prints and open them up for scope ones. This works well except for one thing: TRAILERS!

What this basically means is that I am limited to only getting flat trailers. That way when I'm showing a scope print I just have some black film and do a lens change. I can't do the reverse or else I end up having no side masking for my feature.

Getting flat trailers is usually not a problem but not always and they tend to be the first ones to go so if I'm caught napping I'll miss one (by the way, any National Treasure flat trailers out there???).

Any ideas on this situation?
"What a crazy business"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: trailers 10 Dec 2004 15:42 #13301

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I've never really understood why mixing aspect ratios within a presentation is a good thing, other than the impression made by the feature being "bigger".

Personally, I've always built my trailer pack to match the feature. Though my drive-in doesn't have masking on curtain rods,
I ran my indoor the same way.

Re: trailers 10 Dec 2004 17:30 #13302

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
well, that means having to order two sets of every trailer I show. Is that really the way it should be done?
"What a crazy business"

Re: trailers 10 Dec 2004 17:56 #13303

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
That's the way it's done. It doesn't matter if I'm working a 1-plex or a 12-plex, I always build up in the same format. At my 12-plex one manager used to insist that we mix it up as our automation could do back flips. The floor always would call up on the radio and say that someone complained because the screen just got smaller.

Re: trailers 10 Dec 2004 20:57 #13304

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, I must be doing something wrong then. I have trouble getting one format of a trailer sometimes. I show kind of a lot but I really think it's important to the survival of my little business. It sure would be nice not to head upstairs for a lens change, though.
"What a crazy business"

Re: trailers 11 Dec 2004 12:25 #13305

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
When we don't get everything we need in the can (on the break), we find that a combination of calls to the studios, access to their online ordering sites and contact with our booker helps us get most of what we want... in both aspect ratios (order once... ask for what you'll use).

In cases where we couldn't get the materials ourselves, contacts with the management of area chain houses has proven most helpful. Some of these places get more advertising materials than they can possibly use... and they don't always take the time to return the stuff. If they don't see you as a threat, there are those who will be glad to get rid of the stuff (including standees, posters & banners). Using that combination, it's rare that we don't have everything we can reasonably use.

Re: trailers 15 Sep 2006 14:31 #13306

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
I run film anywhere from four to ten weeks after the break. Any trailers that were "in the can" are long gone by the time they come to me. That means ordering trailers in both formats from four to ten weeks BEFORE the break in order to get them. Usually this works but lately it seems like it has been getting tougher. Any ideas on this situation?
"What a crazy business"

Re: trailers 15 Sep 2006 19:28 #13307

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
We order and order and call exhib relations sites and reps straight and beg and steal every trailer we can: plenty we cannot get though any first run plex will shake their head at this because they drown in trailers: that's where they all are!! You have to fight and work for them.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: trailers 15 Sep 2006 20:18 #13308

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
This may or may not work for you... but,

We have a good relationship with several of the area chain theatres. If one is missing a DTS disk, they can get a copy from someone else's theatre. We've swapped popcorn, oil, even CO2 on occasion, and I once went into a Regal house and changed a lamp for them.

When I was mainly sub-run, I never had trouble getting trailers. The studios stuff the cans with them when they send them to the first-run houses... and those guys don't know what to do with all of them. Get in good with the manager of a 10+ plex and you're set.

Of course, none of those trailers go back with the print... that's just how it seems to work.

(edit) Hmmmm... looks like I already said this, back in December...ummmmm, 2 years ago? Sorry!

[This message has been edited by rodeojack (edited September 16, 2006).]

Re: trailers 16 Sep 2006 22:16 #13309

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
At the 15 plex I work at it is obscene the amount of trailers that come in. They just throw them away casue there are so many trailers you can store. It is sad they get like 20 copies of them and th elil guys cant get one.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction