Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Looking for Information
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for Information

Looking for Information 07 Aug 2006 17:00 #13099

• tleisher
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello, I have a ton of questions so I hope you can answer them all in time. Let me give you some background information, my name is Tyler. I'm 20 years old and I'm majoring in Business Administration. My dream job is to own my own movie theatre/megaplex (10-20 theatres).

Every since a kid I have loved movies, I wanted to be a director but that fell through, so I figure the next best thing is to own amovie theatre.

So I'm here to ask all the questions I can, and anymore that spring up, if there is a thread for some of these please link me, otherwise I appreciate all the info you have.

1. How much money do most theatres cost to open? This includs rent, equiptment, concessions, staff, etc.

2. How do I get big movies into the theatre? Example, I want Pirates of the Carribean 2 playing in my theatre opening weekend, how much do I have to pay and how would I go about doing this?

3. With companies like pepsi, coke, dr pepper, etc. Is there a minimum amount you have to buy and if so how much is the amount and how much do they charge per carton?

4. For an 8 screen theatre, how many staff should I hire and for what purposes?

5. What is the best ticket, concession, etc, software to use with a computer? How much does it cost?

6. Are there any kind of special permits or requirments that I should look into for my city of choice?

7. How much should I charge per ticket, per matine ticket?

8. How do you put up with your competition? I live in an area that has a Cinema 16 AMC theatre, and another Cinema 8 AMC theatre nearby, my city of choice is a very wealthy area (Houses cost in the 2-3 Millions) and there is no movie theatre in the area (the closest one is a 5-15 mile drive). How will I keep up with big theatres?

9. I read something about Harry Potter having a payment plan of 70/70/60/50, or something like that, I'm curious what that is and how that works?

10. Overall, how much capital do you think I should have in order to start a successful 8 screen theatre?

11. How did you get the money to buy your theatre, and how do you keep the money to keep it up to date?

12. About how much do you make per ticket, per day, per month? (DOnt have to answer if you dont want to)

13. What sort of opening day party did you have? I was thinking something along the lines of having an "All movies before 3 PM are free" for the first day, that will not only bring in a lot of people but it will help push the concessions.

14. Whats your policy on outside food and drink?

That's all I can think of for now, any opinions or comments are appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Looking for Information 07 Aug 2006 17:13 #13100

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
All these questions have been asked so many times. Look at the FAQ and click on "show all topics" in the default view.

Re: Looking for Information 07 Aug 2006 17:15 #13101

• tleisher
  • Fresh Boarder
Alright, thanks.

Re: Looking for Information 07 Aug 2006 18:01 #13102

• tleisher
  • Fresh Boarder
I searched the FAQ and got a lot of answers but none on how to actually GET the movies and trailers, and how much they cost.

Re: Looking for Information 07 Aug 2006 19:13 #13103

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hire a booker or call the distributors and book them your self. There is no set price for the movies. The hotter and newer a movie is the more they will want. The older and less popular the less they will want.

The 70/70/60/50 you saw for Harry Potter. That would be the week to week (%) percentage of the gross ticket sale the distributor would want paid.
1st week you pay 70% of your gross.
2nd week you pay 70% of your gross.
3rd week you pay 60% of your gross, and so on down the line. Seldom will it go below 35%.

Trailers either come in with new movies for future releases. Or you can order them from the distributors marketing dept.

Re: Looking for Information 07 Aug 2006 19:49 #13104

• tleisher
  • Fresh Boarder
What do movies like Pirates of the Carribean 2, Harry Potter, Telladaga Nights, etc, cost? Or is it different on a theatre to theatre basis?

Also, do theatres want all their money up from, and after that all the things that come in are yours? Or do you have to pay for it up front and each week?

Re: Looking for Information 07 Aug 2006 20:14 #13105

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Most pics work on a percentage basis
like 70%-30%
The longer the theater has the pic the higher the theater percent is.

Re: Looking for Information 07 Aug 2006 20:17 #13106

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Most theaters will settle up every week on there boxoffice reciepts./lARGE chains tend to settle at the end of the run..
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction