Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: seat problems

seat problems 20 Jul 2006 14:07 #13028

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
We are getting new seats for 2 of 3 screens. We currently seat 147 +/- in each. Due to wider seats both in width and in seat projection it is looking like we will be down about 20 seats per theatre. We don't sell out very often and our largest theatre has 160 seats so we can use it for the biggest films. What the Hell are we supposed to do? What would you do?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: seat problems 20 Jul 2006 14:42 #13029

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
we went from 180 seats to my current 127. It allowed for more legroom and we had to invade the auditorium to make way for the concession stand and larger bathrooms. All in all, I wish we had more seating capacity but my patrons like the extra room and I know they like the concession stand and bathroom space. It was a trade off and I'm glad we did it. I'm toying with the idea of making a new front row as I have the extra seats in the basement ready to go, but who knows if I'll ever get to it.
"What a crazy business"

Re: seat problems 20 Jul 2006 16:35 #13030

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
I would take the hit in seat numbers in a heart beat. People love wider seats and more legroom and since you don't sell out very often, I wouldn't worry about it. If you can get people to come back more often because of the increase in comfort, I'd bet that will make up for the loss in seat numbers.

Why are you getting new seats for a theater you're trying to sell anyway, Mike?
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: seat problems 21 Jul 2006 09:32 #13031

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
In the theatre I'm looking at now, I am in the same position. The seats are old, small, and there isn't much space between them. I am going to replace them for the simple COMFORT factor. I know people will appreciate it.

Re: seat problems 21 Jul 2006 16:13 #13032

• Mike
  • Administrator
the Temple Theatre which I have just about taken off the market has brand new seats from Seating Concepts. Our old baby: the Colonial is not for sale and needs new seats and we are buying Mobilario

Michael Hurley
Impresario

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited July 21, 2006).]
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: seat problems 23 Jul 2006 02:24 #13033

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I eliminated 30+ seats in Theatre One. It was a good move. I bought wider seats and put the rows further apart. I decided to remove even more in Theatre Two and spaced the rows even further apart. #2 is so nice. The patrons love the extra leg room. I love it for the ease of cleaning. I sell out in #1 very infrequently, #2 only once.

I think the seating companies try to get you to put the rows closer together to sell more seats and say their number is the norm.

Re: seat problems 23 Jul 2006 09:37 #13034

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
We will be getting new seats for our theater next month. When we first took over the theater in 2000, the theater had 304 original seats from 1947. Over the past 6 years with increased business and a little bit of abuse of the seats, our seat number has gone down to about 240 due to the seats breaking.

When we get our new seat installed next month, we will be getting about 240 seats (down about 60 seats from where we originally started). However, these new seats will have cup holders (should help to reduce the number of pop spills), thicker padding, wider seats for the center section of the auditorium (the sides of the auditorium will have the same width), and more spacing inbetween the rows. We've been telling our customers awhile now about the new seats and they are extremely excited for them to arraive. We don't sell out too often so we aren't too concern about losing some of our seats. In the long run, it'll be better to have more comfortable seating and get people to come back more often.

Re: seat problems 23 Jul 2006 20:14 #13035

• Mike
  • Administrator
what do you call wider? we are doing 21 and 22

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: seat problems 23 Jul 2006 21:30 #13036

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
All seats in our theater are now 20". Half the seats in the center section will be 21" and the other half will be 23". The first row will have the left half be 21" and the right half 23", the next row will have the left half be 23" and the right half 21", etc. The two outside sections will still be 20" seats because that is all we had room for there.

Re: seat problems 24 Jul 2006 00:41 #13037

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
About 80% of mine are 23's. The rest are 22's.

Re: seat problems 24 Jul 2006 14:30 #13038

• Filmfisher
  • Senior Boarder
What about leg room? How much distance between rows do you feel is adequate?

Re: seat problems 25 Jul 2006 22:37 #13039

I have thought about when i open a theater using the best seats availble the high back reclining seats with memory foam in them and nice wide seats as well. I just cant stand going to a theater with cheap seats or small low back seats its so uncomforatbale and i think in this day with so many theaters having the bigger seats and all we want to use velvlor with the memory foam for ultimate comfort.

Re: seat problems 26 Jul 2006 08:49 #13040

• Mike
  • Administrator
I want to drive a Mercedes and vacation in Hawaii............ but I can't afford it.

The reality is in some markets higher costs can be factored in without concern and in others you better keep an eye on how much you spend going in, or staying in, or you'll be history.

We have high back. Do we have memory foam, leather, rockers? No. But the seats are very nice and comfy and wide enough (love seat arm rests)that the majority have enough room for their ample butt.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction