Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: bare pits and cleavage

bare pits and cleavage 24 Jun 2006 18:47 #12996

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Sounds like a party! Younger staffers like to wear sleaveless, sketti straps, and sometimes deep cleavage. We just implemented: no cleavage-no bare pits. What say ye? How do you handle this? Is it just me or does bare pits over corn make for a kinda gross out?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: bare pits and cleavage 24 Jun 2006 18:49 #12997

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Y'know... that's a great question, Mike.

I'm going to ask our local health department if they have anything on the subject.

To add to the popcorn machine gross-out picture... unrestrained sweat.

We haven't had any issues that I can recall... but this might be a good time to consider the rules.

Re: bare pits and cleavage 24 Jun 2006 20:11 #12998

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
Easy solution - a uniform.

We have a required wear polo shirt. Black Pants, black shoes, black socks also required. Buttons on the polo must be buttoned, with the exception of the top button.

Re: bare pits and cleavage 25 Jun 2006 01:17 #12999

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
My staff and I wear white button down shirts or the company t-shirt. Sleeveless shirts cannot be worn. The white shirt must be worn with a tie during the winter or top button only open in the summer.

Re: bare pits and cleavage 25 Jun 2006 12:07 #13000

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
This shoudln't be a problem! uniforms shoudl be a requirement in any type of theatre business.
Does not have to be an expoensive logo type but a standard shoudl be set. A certain type of shirt and pants and color, shoudl be the norm.
It is not only professional but this cuts out all those issues adressed.
If there is no uniform , there is no say really.
So get out to Sears and get some collar polos and Dickey pants.
A small uniform allounce can be taken out of there paycheck to cover it, unless you give a simple set-up to start out!
I really can't remember the last time i actually went to a theatre and actually saw the workers wear street clothes! It is just the prinicpal of things this is a place of business and you shoudl represebt the business in a uniform type attire!

Re: bare pits and cleavage 25 Jun 2006 12:45 #13001

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
In most cases this is our employees first job. They are instructed to buy inexpensive clothing as it tends to get stained fast in this line of work. The dress code is white shirt, black pants, black shoes and socks. The white shirt must not expose cleavage, midriff, etc. We decide what is not decent and tell them. We also don't allow facial piercings or tattoos that can be seen by the customers.

Re: bare pits and cleavage 25 Jun 2006 13:27 #13002

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Those wanting to impose a dress code or uniforms may want a letter of opinion from their attorney first, to avoid later litigation. I recall that around 30 years ago a worker pushed their objection to prescribed wear all the way to the Supreme Court and the decision was that employees could wear "anything" within accepted local standardsb of decency, UNLESS the employer could prove that specified clothing was needed for safety on the job in question. As I recall, that virtually ended the power of employers to specify clothes AND have the right to dismiss employees who objected. The employer could still fire them, but they would have right of redress (money compensation) by filing suit for damages. Maybe the law isn't enforced anymore, or maybe a test case hasn't appeared in your state yet, but if the case law still stands, you are open to loss after litigation. It pays to look before you leap.

Remember, any store will sell you the fixings for a 'uniform' of sorts, but then they are not prohibited from selling -- so their advice may be suspect. I too wish cinemas enforced a dress code so that cleavage and pit hairs are not falling into my food as Mike points out, but health food service laws usually only speak of hair nets since law makers of 50 years ago couldn't forsee today's preference for near nakedness and the 'Who gives a damn!' attitude. And if local health inspectors are eliminated in these cash-tight times, then it is as the old saying: 'When the cat's away, the mice will play!' But do you want your lobby to be their 'sand box'?!!!

(And it isn't just girls and bussoms in sight. Nowadays with the return of boxer shorts among boys, many of them use the 'freedom' of them to let it all hang within boxers (or nothing at all) under pants so that their endowments are clearly visible in various positions. With no law to point to, most supervisors are loathe to demand that boys wear a brief underneath for both modesty and needed support, for fear of being called a "fag" and being ridiculed in court if there is no decency law to stand on. Our Libertine society and parental permissiveness are turning every social gathering place into a flesh pit where the saying is: 'If you've got it, flaunt it!' What to do?

[This message has been edited by jimor (edited June 25, 2006).]
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: bare pits and cleavage 25 Jun 2006 18:47 #13003

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Most health Dept. Regs require no bare pits and no bare toe shoes...

Guess it depends on your state but any one working food service SHOULD want to be neat and clean!

Tony.
tony.

Re: bare pits and cleavage 25 Jun 2006 21:50 #13004

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Hmmmmmm...
At least on the surface, it appears our health district doesn't address the subject... just hairnets and fingernails.
http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/sf/food/washington-state-fwc-manual.pdf

Re: bare pits and cleavage 26 Jun 2006 12:19 #13005

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Another problem with uniforms was another Supreme Court case under the then new EEOC laws. A job applicant satisfied the employers' standards on paper, but was then told that he would have the job if he could fit into the employers' existing uniform of the job. He couldn't, lost any consideration for the position, and therefore filed suit for discrimitation against body type. The court ruled that no body type or size restriction was protected under the law and therefore could not be used to reject applicants who were otherwise qualified. The court also affirmed an applicant's right to sue for damages under the EEOC laws.

I too would love to see handsome, tailored uniforms return to our theatres, but the above mentioned court decisions would seem to make that unlikely, in addition to the costs involved, and would the same uniform look equally good or natural for both men and women especially after it is worn by a man over 6-feet tall, and then must be reduced in size for a 4-ft 5-inch woman? Remember, you can't discriminate based on gender any more if they can prove that you make a habit of doing so, therefore such a situation could present itself -- at your tailoring expense.

Of course, the Republicans have been in power for a long time now, so maybe their old practice of tearing the 'teeth' out of the watch dogs has had the effect of nullifying such laws. So, if you can afford it, maybe you can implement any uniform or dress code and get away with it -- to the public benefit! Best Wishes to the daring and responsible exhibitor! Jim

[This message has been edited by jimor (edited June 27, 2006).]
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: bare pits and cleavage 26 Jun 2006 13:20 #13006

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
Is your outlook on everything so cynical?

Re: bare pits and cleavage 26 Jun 2006 15:53 #13007

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Speaking of cynical...I would think that, depending on your audience, bare pits and cleavage could be a terrific selling point!! (But of course, that's just me!).

Re: bare pits and cleavage 27 Jun 2006 02:03 #13008

• Pieman
  • Gold Boarder
I feel bad for you Jimor. You seem to always be the one to bring in the downside of everything. Cheer up..life isn't so bad!!

Re: bare pits and cleavage 27 Jun 2006 08:32 #13009

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Please don't feel bad for me; I'm not cynical and I don't need "cheering up." It is just that I'm a realist and also realize that many of the folks reading these Forums are complete neophytes who are clearly all starry-eyed at the possibility of getting into the 'biz' and walking away with bundles of money after virtually no effort beyond turning on the projector. My posts are often designed to say 'Wait a minute, and stop and carefully look things over. Many of the guys on this site truly love Exhibition, but even they admit how hard it is to keep going. Is this realy the business for you?'

Yes, I could have sat back and said nothing, only to read in a few months that someone got hauled into court to pay a fortune to lawyers who couldn't save the Exhib. from damages anyway. To speak only of how nice uniforms and dress codes were, would have been charming, but also would have deluded some to jump into something they were not aware of. I'm sure that most of you would have given these warnings in personal conversation had you been aware of them. Sometimes caution is the better part of valor. And then there is also the issue of truthfulness, as I'm sure you will agree.

[This message has been edited by jimor (edited June 27, 2006).]

Re: bare pits and cleavage 27 Jun 2006 22:35 #13010

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
hey guys.... go light on people's opinions: take them or leave them: it's the variety of responses in which we find the whole.

Actually the cleavage would be very popular with some of our customers.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction