Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Comcast Signs Day-And-Date Movie Deal with IFC
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Comcast Signs Day-And-Date Movie Deal with IFC

Comcast Signs Day-And-Date Movie Deal with IFC 28 Feb 2006 12:17 #12373

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The snowball has started rolling down the mountain - getting larger and larger - and will soon turn into an avalanche.

Today's (Tues Feb 28) Harrisburg Pennsylvania Patriot News contained the following blurb concerning our local cable operator Comcast:

"Comast Corp. the nations largest cable TV operator, has reached a deal with IFC Entertainment to show selected independent movies at the same time the releases hit theatres.
Philadelphia based Comcast said inde films from "IFC in Theatres" will be shown through its "On Demand" service, which stores movies, TV shows and other video for subscribers with digital set-top boxes to watch at any time. The offerings, priced at $5.99 each, will be launched nationwide on March 22.
IFC, a cable channel and indpendent film studio owned by Cablevision Systems Corp. in New York, will offer about two dozen new films every year with simultaneous release in theatres.
IFC is behind inde hits such as"My Big Fat Greek Wedding" "Boys Don't Cry" and "Farenheit 9/11"."

[If I recall correctly the last data I saw from NATO said that for 2004 the average cost of a movie was $6.22 so that the offerings will priced lower than an average movie ticket!]

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited February 28, 2006).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Comcast Signs Day-And-Date Movie Deal with IFC 14 Mar 2006 08:17 #12374

• SamCat
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Well it's going to affect the arts cinemas and the megaplexes. Say goodbye to so many screens.

Re: Comcast Signs Day-And-Date Movie Deal with IFC 16 Mar 2006 10:22 #12375

• MaplePalm
  • Fresh Boarder
i posted something smilar in another thread, but since this is on point i wanted to reiterate that i really don't think this will hurt you guys. as a self-releasing indie, we're considering alternative distribution models as a way of reaching markets that may never screen us anyway. similar to the birth of the video store, i think new distribution models will just allow more people to see films they might otherwise not have access to. as i said in the other post, seeing films on the big screen will always be the crown jewel of the movie going experience. people will always want to get out of the house, go on a date, get away from the kids (or parents) or whatever. speaking as a filmmaker, there's a HUGE stigma attached to not screening your film theatrically, if even only in L.A. and NY. public perception will always be that "real" films play theatres. we've all gone to the video store and ignored titles that never screened theatrically and percieve them as second-rate. that stigma won't change in favor of ipods, cell phones or vod. it'll only become more polarized. there'll never be an academy award for "best feature straight to cell phone."

their might be growing pains, but in the end, theatrical will always be the pinnacle venue. in the meantime, exhibitors may find a lucrative middle road in screening quality indies.

PS - when i say "quality indies" i don't mean indie-wood pics. i mean true indipendent film. there's a lot of good ones out there that never get screened.

For booking inquiries visit: www.MaplePalmMovie.com

[This message has been edited by MaplePalm (edited March 16, 2006).]
For booking inquiries visit: www.MaplePalmMovie.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction