Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Comedy/Music acts at cimena?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Comedy/Music acts at cimena?

Comedy/Music acts at cimena? 28 Feb 2006 04:14 #12283

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I would like to know how you go about hosting one of these events.
Do you rent out the theatre and collect a set fee plus concessions and the group collects an admission.
I am interested in this and have heard it does very well. Anything from poetry readings, to comedy acts to bands.
What are the estimates on what you can charge and I guess there should be a seperate check for damages if any!
They do it on a Thursday by me and sell out both shows (Comedy act) incredible. But this is a multiplex wanted to know the lowdown on indy lil cinemas and hwo to handle!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Comedy/Music acts at cimena? 28 Feb 2006 09:38 #12284

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The easiest thing to do would be to GO to the next one by you at the multiplex and speak to the people who are running it. Find out what they are paying, and offer a better deal,if you have more seats let them know...

Re: Comedy/Music acts at cimena? 28 Feb 2006 11:53 #12285

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
We've done of a couple of these things at our theater. One time we had a murder mystery play take place at our theater. Someone independently paid for the group to come in to perform. Unfortunately, we didn't get a whole lot of people to come so that person was out some money.

I also booked NY based band Nada Surf to come and do a concert at our show. It was a really neat experience and even though this band has played in so many different cities and venues around the world, they said our theater was one of their favorite places they ever played (and they even mentioned us in a newspaper interview they did a few years following the concert). We just wrote the band a check for performing and we collected the ticket sales.

We also use to have a monthly music program at the theater one Sunday a month during the spring and summer. It was basically an open mike thing where anybody who wanted to sign up could perform. It was free but there was a box for donations (we got half the donations for ourselves) and there was usually somebody there who would do a 50/50 drawing where we would keep half the money as well. We also ran the concession stand during these shows. While the first one we ever had did very well (we got people to come in from hours away), we found the ones that followed that to not do as well. Most of the people that come in following that to perform and to watch the performances were the same people each month; weren't really getting anyone new coming to perform or to watch. And we also found that the people who were coming to the shows were kind of rude to us (some of the performers wanted in the theater over an hour before it actually started so they could set up; like we have nothing better to do). We decided it wasn't worth our time or effort to be there to do those shows for what few people came and for how they acted, so we decided we weren't going to do them anymore.

[This message has been edited by puzzlegut (edited February 28, 2006).]

Re: Comedy/Music acts at cimena? 01 Mar 2006 09:49 #12286

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
I can remember back in the day when I was in high school. The weekend before school let out for the summer our local theatre held a battle of the bands that included participants from 5 of the surrounding towns. Back then it was 5.00 a head to get in. A certain percentage of the take went to the band and the theatre kept the rest. I don't know how that would work in todays market.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction