Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby How soon until a major release goes day and date
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How soon until a major release goes day and date

How soon until a major release goes day and date 31 Jan 2006 22:57 #12154

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
While it no longer seems a matter of if films will go day and date in all formats, how long will be until we see a major release go day and date? I'm guessing it will be a much faster process than the theaters conversion to digital projection.
And doesn't this bring up a double edge sword. To convert to digital projection requires a large outlay of capital yet I'm not sure the business model for theaters will support such overhead in the future.
So distibutors encourage us to convert to digital and then eliminate the window that allows us to be viable. Yikes!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How soon until a major release goes day and date 04 Feb 2006 06:56 #12155

• SamCat
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I don't think they are going to go day and date for major blockbusters ever. I think Bubble was just a publicity stunt. Plenty of movies go straight to DVD can cable without even having a release in the cinema. Sounds like bubble would have gone the same way but they worked out how to obtain more publicity from narrowing the window. I think they know that the major returns are from the advertising for the movie at a cinema with all the free press in every single paper in the world, with posters and bill boards in every single large shopping centre world wide and popular strip centres. With the income of cinema and then DVD the income would have to be higher. I reckon for major releases they won't go under three months- four months ever. It's not worth them having first run cinemas go bankrupt and them losing markets. That's my thoughts.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction