Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Just For Fun

Just For Fun 12 Feb 2001 13:02 #1212

• take2
  • Gold Boarder
I thought it would be fun to ask the following two questions of the theatre owners who visit here.
Question one-How long have you been interested in movie theatres and when did you become serious about really getting into the business.
Quetion two-We've seen alot of stars come and go, if you could meet one male and one female performer,living or dead,who would you choose.
My answer to question one is that I was guess I really became interested in theatres while in colledge,while taking Theatre Arts. A went into business about two years ago.
My answer to question two is Jimmy Stewart &
Mae West.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Just For Fun 12 Feb 2001 17:59 #1213

• Linda
  • Gold Boarder
I started working in a movie theatre when I was 16 years old, then worked at several movie theaters while I was in college. Started working at my theatre in 1983 and was able to purchase it in 1989. So I have spent a good part of my life in this business since I'm now quite a bit older than 16
(early 50's)

I agree with Jimmy Stewart, but I would choose Elizabeth Taylor for the female star.

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: Just For Fun 12 Feb 2001 18:21 #1214

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
My business partner and I met in 1982 and became interested im movies and theatres then.

We didn't get around to doing anything about it until 1999. We opened our theatre in 2000.

I always wanted to have dinner with Robin Williams. I think it would be fun to have Drew Barrymore at the table as well.

Re: Just For Fun 12 Feb 2001 19:45 #1215

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
At 18 years old i stood on the roof the the snack bar at a drive in theater. Warm summer night and a full house listening to the sound come at me from 500 little speakers. Love at first sight.

Male: Toss-up between George C. Scott and Peter Sellers.
Female: Marlaina Detrick (appreciation doesn't improve spelling. sorry)
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Just For Fun 12 Feb 2001 21:46 #1216

Answer to one. I was always the kid in elementary school that wanted (and some times got to) run the 16mm projrctors during class. Always made film flip books. Plus my dad was a projectionist during the 50's (so it runs in my bood) I have worked in the industry in some capacity for the past 12 years most recently with one of the Big Boys I have now struck out on my own but have not completed my theatre, ie its still on paper.

Males star I would have to say Bogart and all Three Stooges
Female star Kate Winslet

Re: Just For Fun 12 Feb 2001 23:12 #1217

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
i've always wanted to work in a theatre since the days of going to every saturday afternoon horror matinees. i tried to get a job at our local one screen while i was in high school (70s), with no luck. then 2 years ago, tired of the retail music biz, i walked across the street, to the same theatre, and filled out an application. anything, or any position. 2 weeks later, i was called in for the interview and hired for management. needless to say, i've been in the retail field for years. however, sick of working with kids as assistant managers, i left as manager and currently do all maintenence, or fill in for a night as manager. i am looking to buy or lease an old single/double screen location.

i would have loved to met james dean. doris day would be my female choice, as i love her old movies from the 50s-60s.

Re: Just For Fun 13 Feb 2001 02:21 #1218

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Having been born shortly after the big war, I was a young lad growing up during those wonderful years in the fifties. My first interest was architecture, but my favorite buildings architectually were theatres. There was nothing else quite like them. I would go just to wander around in them, looking at everything, and then finnally sitting down to watch the movie, but often spending as much time admiring the decorum as much as the film. My favorite theatre was an 1800 seat spanish atmosphereic which was one of the four big downtown theatres in my hometown. We had four neighborhood houses as well, but I always went to the downtown theatres...they were much more exciting.

During High School I was always involved in the projection and stage crews, and the auditorium was my first theatre. I tried to run it just like the downdown theatres. When we would show educational films there, I would play music beforehand, dim down the houselights, hit the curtain with the picture, and open the curtain as the footlights faded away. Years after graduation, my H.S. principal came into my theatre, and seeing me there said: "I'm not surprised". He became a regular patron and even though quite old now still comes on occasion.

During my senior year, a female friend of mine who worked as a cashier at that wonderful atomsphereic theatre told me her boss was looking for an usher. I hightailed it down there right after school and was hired on the spot. My life was forever changed! The boss was an oldtime showman who had run some major movie palaces in the late twenties, and I learned a lot from him. He loved to talk and I liked to listen. Several years later I aquired that theatre and he then worked for me.

When I went away to college I worked at several different theatres, and finally became an assn't manager at a new shopping center theatre with a roadshow policy. But I was itching to go it on my own. So at 19, I with another friend that I worked with, leased an old smalltown indoor theatre and we went into business for ourselves. As they say...the rest is history.

Over the years I have owned and operated 18 theatres from 300 seats up to 1800 seats, including three drive-ins. In small towns, medium size cities, downtowns, neighboorhoods, and indoor malls. I have one left. It is a downtown theatre built for movies and vaudeville in a town of about 10,000 people. I have had this theatre now for a little over 30 years.

Who would I most like to meet? Hmmm. Maybe I should say, who did I most enjoy meeting. Of the many film stars that I have met over the years, there are two males that I really enjoyed talking to... George Burns, and Vincent Price. They were both very down to earth....just like talking to your grandfather. The females were Ann-Margaret and Dody Goodman. Dody who? You don't remember her do you, or maybe you never heard of her. She was a popular female comedian actress on broadway most of her life, but appeared in several films...the last I believe was Greece. She is still doing a one woman show out on the road now as I speak.

I had the distinct privilege of having grown up in a tiny village that just happened to be a weekend hidaway for many showpeople from New York, and also because I mowed the lawn and did gardening at several of the homes where they stayed, got to meet them and became quite friendly with several. Some of the people that came there were Rosalind Russell, Marlin Brando, Wally Cox, Peggy Cass and Dody Goodman. I got to know Dody very well, she is an absolute wonderful person. I even got to work with her during the making of a film for TV and was used as an extra.

Who would I like to meet of the current stars? The male would be Matt Damon... as for some reason I see myself as a youthful person when I watch his films. God only knows why? The female would be Britt Eklund as she was about thirty years ago. I just think she was the sexyist thing on two feet. <Drool> Oh well...I'm over that!

Seeing that I operate a theatre that is a live venue as well as a movie house, I have met hundreds of entertainers that have performed here over the years in concerts and plays, but most never in films. The exceptions that have been in films were John Belushi, Gilda Radner, Martin Mull, Robert Klein and Cheech and Chong. Others that I really enjoyed meeting that have performed here are Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Kiss, Buddy Rich, Melissa Manchester and Janis Ian.

What a great business this has been for the past thirty five years. I hope it continues for a few more.

Re: Just For Fun 13 Feb 2001 12:00 #1219

• take2
  • Gold Boarder
Hey Roxy, Yes, I know who Dody Goodman is. As being a produce of the late 40's myself. She does seem to be a very fun loving little bundle of joy. I lived out on the west coast for twenty years and my dad had a business that got him alot clients that were celebs. Through his business I got to meet John Vought, Sonny Bono, and Karen Valentine. I thought John Vought was a great person but didn't realize he was so tall.

Re: Just For Fun 13 Feb 2001 14:25 #1220

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Man you guys shame me! You're all so longevity oriented! Six years ago right now my wife opened the paper. She'd been talking about how after a couple good years doing decorative painting she was suddenly without work for the last couple months and it did not look good out into the future. There was an ad "Colonial Theatre for sale! 160,000.00" I said........why don't you buy the theatre? (it turned out a little more comlicated than that!) 30 days later we owned it. While we liked the movies and went regularly, more often than most, I would not call us film fanatics. We'd never watch the Academy Awards straight through and we weren't able to name esoteric dates or actors or directors. We did love small town life and believed in our theatres place in it. We loved architecture and historical preservations and downtowns and here it all was wrapped up in one big 50' by 140' box! We don't regret it for a moment and we now love the industry and the whole danged ball of celluloid! I have been in the restaurant, retail, manufacturing, distribution, service, trucking, import and building businesses. Nothing is as weird or as fun as the movies! Roll 'em! I'm honored to have tripped into this world.

I'd love to meet the star of the documentary "The Greatest" Muhammid Ali. I'm cheating with this wish I guess but it was a movie and he was the star and he is my hero!

re: Female star. Was that "meet" or "sleep with"? Okay/.... I'll try and be pure. I vote for Jody Foster. I just like her.

Mike Hurley www.bigscreenbiz.com

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited February 13, 2001).]
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction