Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hello

Hello 18 Jan 2006 23:02 #11977

• Cue Mark
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello!
Found this sight a while ago and have found the information interesting. Been in the movie biz around 20 years now. My first job was spinning reels at at the local drive in and walk in theatre. Besides projecting, I also cleaned the theatres. At these theatres, I worked from grades 7 - 12. After graduation, I left show biz and did other things for about 14 years. In 1990, I found myself back in the biz, quite by accident.
I really enjoy the movie business, but reading these forums also remind me that big changes could soon be a reality. I remember an union projectionist in the early 70's predicting electronic projection to be in place by the mid 80's. His guess was off but it looks like that digital is getting closer. During the 80's I was not too active in the movie business but was told by a lot of people that movie theatres were certain to be a relic of the past due to cable t.v. and video rentals.
When I returned to this business, I have always approached the long term with optimistic caution and have tried to figure out where exhibition will be in a few years. Sure wish I knew, but I plan to roll with the punches and learn from all you; your spin on this fun way of making a living.
Thanks for your time Cue Mark !
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hello 19 Jan 2006 00:59 #11978

Welcome! I am new myself but been lurking for quite some time.

Its an amazing industry. I have been messing around in theaters and booths since I was 8 or so. Once the business is in your blood, your a theaterman/theaterwoman 'till the day you die!

Can't wait to read your contributions to the forum!

Tony

P.S.

Where was this walk in/drive in? The reason I ask is my late friend and her husband had one in Denver from the 50's thru the 70's that they built and I was under the impression that is was the only one of its kind. This was quite a place that even stayed open in the awful Colorado winters. They checked out heaters that plugged into the speaker polls. :-)
Tony H.
Colorado Film/Theater God

Re: Hello 19 Jan 2006 04:53 #11979

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Welcome Cue!

There will always be theatres. No matter how sophisticated "home theatres" may get I have learned that there will always be people who want to go out and have that "theatre experience". Multiplexes seem to be in transition from cinderblock rooms to some really well designed auditoriums. Single screen speciality houses will always be around and one of these days someone will discover that small towns and rural areas are sorely underserved and begin building small theatres in those areas. I hope to be one of them. The way films are presented may change but that aspect of the business is not as important to the movie-going public (except for a few techno-geeks) as the overall experience of theatre going. I started in this business in 1945 and have seen many transitions, some good, some not so hot. But I'm not calling it quits yet. It's a wonderful buisness. Glad to have you here.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Hello 19 Jan 2006 11:19 #11980

• Cue Mark
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you both for your greetings! Will talk later.
Cue Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction