Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Brokeback Mountain
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Brokeback Mountain

Brokeback Mountain 31 Dec 2005 01:00 #11900

First off, I would appreciate your comments and experiences with this picture.

Mine have been exceptionally positive. Due to the fact that the few theaters surrounding me have outdated and small minded operators (their loss, my gain) I have had people coming from many miles around to my theater to view the picture and my house has been substantially full for most of my showings as of yet. It made for a very nice holiday season for me and re-affirmed my faith in the business that has kept me and my family fed and housed for 54 years!

I think the movie is simply wonderful myself. The acting, story line and characters were amazing. I really appreciate it also when I movie keeps you entertained and moves along quickly such as Brokeback Mountain. I was disappointed that the quality of photography and sound was so poor. Maybe it was just an old lady with old projection and sound equipment but I have heard several operators claim that the quality was deplorable as well.

What are your views?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Brokeback Mountain 31 Dec 2005 23:39 #11901

• Orpheum
  • Senior Boarder
I am one of those "Small Minded Operators".
Much like Farenheit 911, this movie is either loved or hated. I choose not to alienate a substantial percentage of my population for a two or three week gain. The short term gain is not worth the long-term loss. I believe the following link best discribes what I dislike the most about Hollywood. http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=48076
Yes, my small mind prevents me from wanting to watch two men perform sodomy on my huge screen...even if they truly love each other.
Finally, It took me many years to learn where I should place my faith and it is not in the amount of business my theatre does.
Jeff

Re: Brokeback Mountain 01 Jan 2006 03:56 #11902

Well, I would like to thank operators like you with all my sincere heart for opening my purse and putting money in it thanks to your views! My husband and I have owned and operated theaters and drive-ins since 1951 and have been and still are quite successful. We have always done well with our decisions and will stay in this business until the day we die. We have also found our niche and a great amount of patron appreciation for bringing so many diverse pictures to our screen. If I had my way, I would prefer not to see "two men performing sodomy on my big screen" OR a man and a woman going at it but that is the way today's movies are and not one of those offends me more or less than the other. It does make me happy to see equal rights of African Americans, homosexuals and other diverse people brought to the silver screen. And dear, I'm 82 and have seen it/lived through it all. I have a right to my opinion! My grandson is gay (and a gramma could never ask for a better grandson and grandson-in-law) and I even pushed away my supportive beliefs to judge weather this picture is good or a dud and I still agree its excellent!
The site you included the link to in your post was quite biased. Shall I post one in favor of the film?

I suppose you will not be screening "Memoirs of a Geisha" (which I am proud to announce starts at my theater next Thursday) for fear of offending those who have prejudices against the Japanese? No "Jarhead" to please those who oppose the military? Where do you draw the line? I have my hands full enough operating a theater; please do not stick me with censoring as well!
Even if a title came up that had issues I did not agree with, it is still my job to present Hollywood's best to my customers.
And yes, I know you were dying to know; I was a proud exhibitor or "Fahrenheit 911" at my drive-in!I also give my guests credit for enough common sense not to attend my theaters when I am screening a title that either offends them or is of no interest and then, once the offending title has been removed and replaced with something of interest; they will return to view it.

I knew as I was typing my "small minds" comment that I was opening a can of worms and for that I am truly sorry. I have now made my comments, you have made yours so let us please not make trolls of ourselves and start a flame war on these fun and informative boards! Let us all please return to my initial question!!!!!

Peace to all!

Maybelle Mehan

[This message has been edited by Izzytheatre22 (edited January 01, 2006).]

Re: Brokeback Mountain 01 Jan 2006 04:00 #11903

[This message has been edited by Izzytheatre22 (edited January 01, 2006).]

Re: Brokeback Mountain 01 Jan 2006 15:15 #11904

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
I am not playing this picture - won't play well to my demo at all (top 2 grossing pictures here this past year? "Diary Of A Mad Black Woman" & "The Gospel")

I will play anything that will make money ... with a picture like "Brokeback Mountain" I could expect to make $100 tops first week.

Re: Brokeback Mountain 01 Jan 2006 16:25 #11905

• Orpheum
  • Senior Boarder
Well, I would like to thank operators like you who help to set my theatre apart. I have a competitor similar to you nearby and the contrast between theatres is enormous.

I hope you don't use my age and inexperience against me. I have only been in the business since 1971.

I find it interesting that compare African-Americans and Japanese with Homosexuals. I bet they love being lumped together. Further, what exactly is the "equal right" not being afforded to homosexuals now.

I hope you are not trying to claim moral authority because of your grandsons homosexuality. My brother is gay. He is also HIV-Positive. He is now a lonely 54 year old man who will die from his lifestyle and will never have the blessings of children.
My politically correct urges will not go far enough to accept a lifestyle which will pre-maturely take the life of my brother. It's a miserable existence of broken families and dangerous behavior which Hollywood would like to make "normal" through emotional movies which use the heart to block the brain and slowly, but surely, change our minds.

Finally, Please do link me to your favorite pro-homosexual website and lets do some homework to discover which one uses Truth...capitol T intended. Now we both have had 2 posts on this subject...can you resist?
Jeff

Re: Brokeback Mountain 01 Jan 2006 18:06 #11906

At least I am a responsible operator who sees to it that my audience gets to view the best to my patrons. I will use an example; I do not support the Iraq war but if one produces a picture about the subject that my patrons want and need to see, what business is it of mine not to proudly present it on my screens?

And I will take moral authority for living my life as an open minded and excepting person and one better for loving and supporting my family and friends for whoever they are.

My sister has terminal Uterine Cancer and has had problems leading up to her cancer that caused her 40 year heterosexual marriage to yield no children. As you claim AIDS is a punishment/consequence to a certain behavior, would you please tell us all and put my family's minds at ease what my sister did or how she lived her life that gave her cancer? And gay people CAN and do adopt and raise children as my grandson and grandson-in-law plan to do, hence they CAN be blessed with children.

Actually, my African-American friend is excited about the gay rights movement because she remembers how it felt when she was abused for such a trivial difference. As for the Japanese thing, I was asking if you are too afraid to screen "memoirs of a Geisha" for fear of people who have irrational phobias and prejudices of Japanese people? People my age for example who still hold unwarranted hatred to all Japanese people because we were all young adults during WWII?
I have held my beliefs that ALL people are created equal regardless of any difference for my entire life and my grandson did not change my views for better or worse!

I do not have a favorite "pro homosexual" web site nor will I waste my time and energy trying to find one for you. I am concrete in my morals and beliefs and do not require someone else to agree with my or affirm my beliefs to be content.

This is the last platter of food I feed any trolls on here so I'd advise you not to waste your time.

Maybelle Mehan

Re: Brokeback Mountain 01 Jan 2006 19:05 #11907

• Orpheum
  • Senior Boarder
It is a pleasure to converse with such a gifted writer. It must be nice to not accept any responsibility for the content on your screen. Where is the line you would draw. How about love story with a pedofile. How about beastiality. I am sure there is a segment of society who would be perverted enough to come to your theatre...does that make it right?

Being African-American or Japanese is not a choice or sexual preference. Again I ask, what is the equal right not now afforded homosexuals under our current laws. They can do anything I can do and vice-a-versa. I think you are falling victim to the notion of "special rights" versus equal rights.

Believe it or not, there are moral absolutes which require us to take a stand. Hollywood continues to water them down so deviate behavior becomes normal.

I think it is hilarious that Hollywood is now noticing that there is a huge untapped market out there of Christians who largely have ignored theatres for the past two decades.
Passion of The Christ and Chronicles of Narnia are both going to be in the top tier of movie grosses and I am willing to predict that Brokeback Mountain will struggle to break into the top 25 for this year. If you look at the media, they think...want it to be the next Titanic.
Well, now I have 3 posts and so do you...Again, can you resist?
Jeff

Re: Brokeback Mountain 01 Jan 2006 19:09 #11908

• Orpheum
  • Senior Boarder
It is a pleasure to converse with such a gifted writer. It must be nice to not accept any responsibility for the content on your screen. Where is the line you would draw. How about love story with a pedofile. How about beastiality. I am sure there is a segment of society who would be perverted enough to come to your theatre...does that make it right?

Being African-American or Japanese is not a choice or sexual preference. Again I ask, what is the equal right not now afforded homosexuals under our current laws. They can do anything I can do and vice-a-versa. I think you are falling victim to the notion of "special rights" versus equal rights.

Believe it or not, there are moral absolutes which require us to take a stand. Hollywood continues to water them down so deviate behavior becomes normal.

I think it is hilarious that Hollywood is now noticing that there is a huge untapped market out there of Christians who largely have ignored theatres for the past two decades.
Passion of The Christ and Chronicles of Narnia are both going to be in the top tier of movie grosses and I am willing to predict that Brokeback Mountain will struggle to break into the top 25 for this year. If you look at the media, they think...want it to be the next Titanic.
Well, now I have 3 posts and so do you...Again, can you resist?
Jeff

Re: Brokeback Mountain 02 Jan 2006 00:03 #11909

First of all, I do not and refuse to show ILLEGAL and IMORAL pictures in my theater such as the kind you suggested. I am not an x rated house. I never have, however minded showing a a good HETERO or HOMO romance film, even if a few of the scenes are a little crude for my own taste. I do take pride in my theater and will not screen things that I believe truly degenerate our culture. I resent your compairing homosexuality to pedofilia and beastiality. Why do you people enjoy thinging about those two things so much?
It is theaters like yours that in ten years will be housing antique stores, churches and offices...maybe even a residence and will no longer be screening films even as tame as "Snow White" and mine that will remain alive and well.

Also, I believe homosexuals have as much choice to be what they are as African Americans...as in none! You are born the way you are.
And what equal rights don't they have? Let me just name two. In my state, it is NOT illegal to fire an employee do to their sexuality. And are they yet granted the dignity of marriage? I think not.

I know your type and will not even try to put you trough the cruel and unusual torture of not having the last word. I am trough reading your posts however much less responding to them! I have fed this troll more than anyone should!

Maybelle Mehan

[This message has been edited by Izzytheatre22 (edited January 02, 2006).]

Re: Brokeback Mountain 02 Jan 2006 00:12 #11910

I agree, Mike. One must judge how a picture will do in their region. I started out owning theatres in Montana and have moved my way to where I am now. Each region has its own tastes. My niche for showing some of the more "controversial" films come from the two surrounding theaters in a reasonable driving distance try not to even screen "R" films. I try to bring in just about everything except foreign as that near killed me when I just tried a few of those here. I show about one classic a a month as well as having quite a diversity of new releases; Narnia came just before Brokeback and Geisha starts Thursday. Sometimes the tastes of people from region to region in films, food, cars etc. seems worlds apart and an owner has to try and figure out what will please his patrons and keep his theater afloat.

Maybelle Mehan

Re: Brokeback Mountain 02 Jan 2006 02:25 #11911

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Hey Guys!

Lets not resort to attacking each other's beliefs. These forums are for discussing the exhibition business.

In this thread I think we should stick to stating why we would or wouldn't show the film without belittling another's reason for doing either.

OK?

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Brokeback Mountain 02 Jan 2006 03:32 #11912

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
I think I'll go over to Craigslist Rants & Raves and see if the ghositng from my AA is due to a drive-in shutter or worn star gear. Perhaps we could now move into the Isreale/Palestinain issue here.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Brokeback Mountain 02 Jan 2006 04:28 #11913

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
None of my customers have asked to see this film, but a few have commented they would not come to see it. I will probably not show it for the same reason Mike Spaeth isn't. It won't bring in enough patrons to pay the bills. That decision will disappoint some.

Re: Brokeback Mountain 02 Jan 2006 13:59 #11914

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
Keep in mind - with 14 screens I can be a bit more liberal with my choices in money-making ability. I'm not running a single-screen that has to be a hit every week. I have 13 other opportunities to cover my ass and pay the bills.
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction