Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby If you built a one screen theatre cheap what equipment would
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: If you built a one screen theatre cheap what equipment would

If you built a one screen theatre cheap what equipment would 01 Feb 2001 17:48 #1178

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
It seems that many people are thinking of small theatres. What would some of the wiser hands recommend for booth equipment for projection, sound, platter. What do you think a person should pay for that equipment?
What about seats? Popcorn machine? Soda deal?

Since most of the shoppers seem price conscious (cheap)make your picks the best for less.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: If you built a one screen theatre cheap what equipment would 01 Feb 2001 18:07 #1179

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
First of all, I know where you can get a couple of Brenkerts cheap, but...

Speco seems to sell the cheapest workable platter system. Of course, if you can find a used Christie AW3 or a Strong/Potts platter used, they would work well. It's hard to kill a Simplex XL projector head. I wouldn't say no to a Century C. I like the Strong X-90 lamphouse or any lamphouse by Christie. I like automations and rewind equipment by Kelmar.

The best thing to do is to call your local cinema supplier and find out what he has.

Now Mike since I know that this is a house down the street from your three-plex perhaps you would be doing all the film work in the big plex and just carrying the film down the street. In that case, you want to match you platters.

If I were running a single screen cinema that was not connected in any way to another theatre, I would install two projectors and run 6,000' reel to reel. I would do this for a number of reasons. First off, two projectors would give me an emergency back up in case of mechanical frailer. It is faster to build up on 6,000' reels than platters. It would allow me to change films faster.

Re: If you built a one screen theatre cheap what equipment would 01 Feb 2001 18:13 #1180

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Yes I am considering just such an option for myself but I am really asking for the novices. I'm making my list and I'll post it but I wanted to really work on it.

What don't you like about Brenkerts? That's what we use and they seem great.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: If you built a one screen theatre cheap what equipment would 01 Feb 2001 21:03 #1181

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Mike,

Don't get me wrong. I love Brenkerts. I use them all the time at the Telluride Film Festival and at Mountainfilm. They have a rock steady picture and are darn near unbreakable. They were last manufactured in 1956. I even want some of your long promised Brenkert hats. If I was taking over a theatre that had Brenkerts, I would welcome them. But if I were buying projectors used, I would look for Simplex or Century. If I were buying projectors new, I wouldn't look any farther than Kinotone.

If I were building a new multiplex, I would spec the entire Kinotone package including platters, lamphouse and projectors, either the PK50D, PK50E or the PK60E. I'd run Dolby CP650 processor, BGW Amps and SA loudspeakers.

If I were calling my cinema supplier 50 years ago, I would ask for Simplex bases, Peerless Magnarc lamphouses, Brenkert BX50 projectors, RCA sound heads, an RCA tube amp and one big honkin' Altec Lansing A4 loud speaker.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction