Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby distributor question
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: distributor question

distributor question 30 Jan 2001 18:09 #1170

• videodrome
  • Fresh Boarder
i heard, that some independent theatres (not big like cinemark) aren't allowed a lot of films by distributors because they don't meet certain requirements like sound systems...
my question is:
if this is true, how do small cafe theatres get on their feet showing films? where do they get their films from, do they just purchase old prints, and keep reshowing them?
thanks in advance
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: distributor question 30 Jan 2001 19:40 #1171

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
The cafe theatres around here all run as sub-run or discount. So the requirements are not placed on them. Don't know how it would work with first run. But maybe the distributors make exceptions.

Re: distributor question 30 Jan 2001 20:42 #1172

• videodrome
  • Fresh Boarder
i'm not intrested in showing first run films...mainly independents, foreigns, and classics...(do big independent films count as first run eg: run lola run? or big foreigns for that matter, eg: dancer in the dark?) from what i mentioned, can anyone tell me if the films in which i am intrested in running at my theatre be available to me??? is there any other way of getting my hands on such films?
thanks in advance...

Re: distributor question 30 Jan 2001 22:14 #1173

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
If you create your market, the movies will usually come. No one in my neck of the woods was showing art films. so when i built my 100 seat art house (and proved i was going to stick it out), many companies realized i was the only house going to show their product. And, yes, I have a mono system -- as simple as it gets. I built it so it's about as good as it gets. being mono has never been an issue. a couple times a year i wish i had strereo or even SDDS, or even Dolby. Then i look at how little i have to fiddle with the system, and let it go at that.

BTW, if you have an old print, you still need to buy the right to show it -- no matter what someone tells you who wants to sell you a print. Just because you have it doesn't mean you get to show it without paying film rent. This comes under the heading of one of those things you don't want to mess with.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: distributor question 31 Jan 2001 00:06 #1174

• Bird
  • Senior Boarder
VideoD, as a direct answer to your question, you should have NO problem at all getting any foreign, Independant or sub-run films based on your sound system.

Re: distributor question 31 Jan 2001 13:42 #1175

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Getting films "product" is going to be a matter of availability... i.e. Crouching Tiger currently has 150 or so prints in North America and so everyone wants it but only 150 get to play it. Most film distribs... and in particular the art/foreign/lesser known seem very low on the arrogance scale: they want people to play their films a lot more than the big guys like Buena Vista who don't have such a problem. Art distribs will answer the phone. If you'd wanted Run Lola Run when it was hot ...until you prove yourself..it will be a hard to get film. Distribs, no matter their product, want to put their prints where they will gross. If that's you: great.
There are zero constraints with equip though with classics there is some unhappiuness on distribs part if you use a platter. Equipment is a addiction: you can spend as much as you want: no problem. Some you must have, some you'd like to have, some you can't afford, some you'd kill for. Unless you're very well heeled and have money to burn start basic and add the good stuff later.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction