Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Curtains for movie house

Curtains for movie house 19 Dec 2005 11:56 #11682

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Here is a story from todays Dail News anothe sad day for cinemas.
I worked at these 2 theatres when I was younger and due to the past few years it has casued them to shutter casue of bad times.
These are in very populated areas with no competition. If they can't make it were is the hope for the rest of us.

Curtains for movie house

BY OREN YANIV
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

It's fade to black for another Ozone Park movie theater - the second cinema to shut down in the neighborhood in recent months.
The curtain will go down on the seven-screen Crossbay II theater by Jan. 2, leaving the area bereft of movie houses with the closest one being a multiplex in Brooklyn.

"It's unfortunate," said the local councilman, Joseph Addabbo (D-Ozone Park). "It's a telltale sign of what's happening to the movie industry."

The unappealing gray building at 93rd St. between Rockaway Blvd. and Liberty Ave. is tucked between car dealerships, a library branch and a small parking lot.

The place was devoid of customers on a recent early afternoon. One of three idle attendants confirmed the impending closing and said workers will be transferred to another location.

Asked if many moviegoers frequent the cinema, the worker said: "They used to years ago, but not now."

This past year has been exceptionally rough on Hollywood studios, with box office receipts declining across the nation. The expansion of home-theater systems, DVDs and cable offerings, combined with a rise in movie ticket prices have all contributed to this trend.

Another theater just two blocks from Crossbay II, on the corner of Woodhaven and Rockaway Blvds., shut down over the summer. That cinema, known as Crossbay I, first opened back in 1925. Its interior is now gutted and the owner is still looking for a new tenant.

"It causes unrest in the community because they don't know what's going to be in the building," said Betty Braton, president of Community Board 10.

"It's a loss," Braton said of the upcoming closing of its neighbor, which opened in the late '80s. "There are very few recreational facilities in this area."

When Crossbay II is gone, the nearest big-screen locations will be on Linden Blvd. in East New York or on Metropolitan Ave. in Forest Hills. A new Regal Cinemas theater with eight screens and 1,600 seats is slated to open by the spring in the Shops at Atlas Park, Glendale's new mall.

None of these options, however, has a subway link to Ozone Park.

Addabbo recalled watching many flicks with his father at the old Crossbay I theater, and predicted that such an experience will be lost for future generations.

"It's personally saddening to me, but it's also not good for our local economy," he said of the spate of silver screen departures from his district.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Curtains for movie house 20 Dec 2005 06:29 #11683

• Pieman
  • Gold Boarder
It is a shame..I wonder though if they did any marketing for the cinema or if they just had their doors open and assumed people would come to it. By the sounds of it "The unappealing gray building at 93rd St. between Rockaway Blvd. and Liberty Ave. is tucked between car dealerships, a library branch and a small parking lot" just akllowed itself to die. To stay competitive all businesses have to market themselves.,. people these days are soo used to advertising, if they don't hear about it, then it doesn't exist to them. You have to get your name out there and make sure people think of you when they think of movies or whatever buisiness you have. its not enough these days to just open the doors and hope people will arrive.

Re: Curtains for movie house 21 Dec 2005 23:30 #11684

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I heard that UA who owned thos etheatres did this on purpose and tere supposed to opne a new stadium seating modern multiplex in a better location.
Those 2 theatre were outdated and coudl not be expanded. The areas were good buses and trains and a High school were all around. The demo are great so they wil be opening a new multiplex in a year.
The 15 plex linden blv theatre is state of the art and a really nice theatre but in a very questionable area but 5 minutes away from those two that shut down!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction