Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Digital Cinema benefits

Digital Cinema benefits 13 Dec 2005 11:41 #11562

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
What do you see are the benefits of digital cinema as described by NATO?
http://www.natoonline.org/DCI%20Final-Summary-7-27-051.pdf

1. Certainly the biggest benefit in my mind is that there will no longer be a "print availability" requirement. I should have the same access to prints that every other theater has as long as I'm willing to pay the higher percentages with getting it right on the break. This simplifies a bunch of things.

2. No build-up and tear-down time! I spend loads of time building up and tearing down a print

3. Trailers! No more screwing around with exhibitor relations and/or technicolor or deluxe et al. No more waiting around for the UPS man to drop me off a last minute trailer so I can hustle upstairs and get it on the print.

4. No more cleaning prints and dealing with scratches and crappy splices.

5. No more film shipping costs! Jeez, what a blessing that will be!

What else am I missing?

"What a crazy business"
"What a crazy business"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Digital Cinema benefits 13 Dec 2005 13:47 #11563

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Leeler,
I just spent an hour writing a very erudite explanation of the new problems that you will be substituting for the old ones that you are so happy to get rid of. Unfortunately, I accidentally hit the escape key. My entire 1 hour composition was gone in an instant. Apply that to the digital server age. I accidentally just deleted the entire movie instead of hitting the PLAY button. I rest my case.

Re: Digital Cinema benefits 13 Dec 2005 14:09 #11564

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Guess the best way is to respond to each.

1. True the physical availablity will no longer be limited. But to get them on the break you will still deal with the distribs "requirements" with higher terms and charging your customers any minimum per cap they set for ticket prices.

2. This changes to "download time" If your digital print is delivered by Satellite or Phone connection. You will probably have to be there to monitor that the download completes in full and correctly. If not then it will have to be started all over again. And I can only assume it will take a couple of hours to download a whole movie.

3. Maybe. I am not sure how the trailers will be programmed. Does the theatre get to choose or are they already decided for us by the distributor. Still probably be some calling around needed to get what we want approved and downloaded.

4. Agreed since physical prints no longer exist. But I am sure this will be replaced with more maintenence on the Digital projector, server etc. You know how these high tech machines hate dust, humidity etc. Plus extra care with the much larger Xenon's we will have to use to light the screens.

5. If you receive your digital print by satellite or phone agreed. If you receive it on a hard drive shipped, your still stuck with FedEx Next Day charges.

Am sure there is much more I missed.

Re: Digital Cinema benefits 13 Dec 2005 20:51 #11565

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I know there are drawbacks and they probably deserve a thread of their own.

I think the benefits are worthy of discussion too, though.

One thing I was not aware of was the xenon bulb reqs. Are they truly going to be higher then a film's xenon lamphouse will provide?
"What a crazy business"

Re: Digital Cinema benefits 13 Dec 2005 21:43 #11566

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
That is my understanding. With all those tiny optic mirrors it will take a lot more light to get a good bright image on screen. Have heard some installations had to jump from 4000 watt to 8000 watt Xenon's. That is a whole different animal to cool. Probably requiring liquid cooling.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction