Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Forced To Give Up The Lease On My Theatre

Forced To Give Up The Lease On My Theatre 13 Dec 2005 12:04 #11558

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
This October after over 19 years in operation at the same location I made the decision to close my 1911 historic single screen theatre.

There were three main reasons for the closing : (a) the continuing softness and declining outlook for the theatre business in general; (b) the opening in my market in mid June of yet another 12 screen multiplex (with another 2 more 12 screen complexs announced to be built within the next year) in area already so throughly oversatured that no one is making any money
(3) the 1911 building need both a new roof as well as anew heating/air condiitoning system.

Sadly it was time to go.

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited December 13, 2005).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Forced To Give Up The Lease On My Theatre 13 Dec 2005 12:41 #11559

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Very sad news to hear. It is hard to keep up a positive attitude when a pillar of the community such as yourself is forced to make the decision to leave a long established and cherished theater.
We are also struggling with some of the same demons due to the imminent groundbreaking for a 14 or 15 plex to be built on top of us (!****! Cinemark). Wondering just what to do with our future lives. How are you dealing with your future plans? Please keep in touch.

Re: Forced To Give Up The Lease On My Theatre 13 Dec 2005 13:00 #11560

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
sorry to hear that 'buf. This is a tough business there is no doubt about it and it sounds like you are in a busy market. Have you considered changing into an art house?
"What a crazy business"

Re: Forced To Give Up The Lease On My Theatre 13 Dec 2005 14:14 #11561

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Very sorry to hear that Buff. We also closed a location last year due to a 15 plex built one mile away. We lost 80% attendance within 90 days of it's opening. The only positive thing was the timing. Our lease was up for renewal and we didn't renew.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction