Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby would a dvd projector only screening room be worth it?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: would a dvd projector only screening room be worth it?

would a dvd projector only screening room be worth it? 11 Dec 2005 13:38 #11555

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
It seems more and more stuff is coming on DVD. Would it be worth it to add a small screening room for DVD stuff? Do you consider it?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: would a dvd projector only screening room be worth it? 11 Dec 2005 18:48 #11556

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
In big cities they are doing well for film festivals and Indy screenings.
I would be hesitant in a small town unless your expecting to host a few film festivals to make the room worth it, then you could be looking at a unique edge against your competition.
More an more indy film makers are looking to screen there stuff and look for venues like that to showcase them.
Tribeca, Sundance, IFC to name a few. Your in a very art oriented area and people may get into a screening room which your suggesting.
Product won't be a problem there is a theater in NY called the Two Boots Pioneer theater that solely play indy films and the people who make them supply the movie and audience. So the theatre owner is garenteed a profit.www.twoboots.com/pioneer/

Here is how it works you can incoporate that into your DVD screening room. It is very succesfuL:

Renting The Pioneer Theater

What is "The Pioneer Theater?"
The Pioneer is a 99-seat movie theater dedicated independent, alternative, foreign, genre, and "other" cinema. It is located at 155 East 3rd Street (between Avenues A and B), in Manhattan, New York City, right around the corner from the Two Boots Pizzeria and Video Store.

What formats can be shown?
35mm, Beta-SP, DVD, and VHS. 16mm is also a possibility, but please discuss this with us for your specific case. If you have an alternate video format that you’d like to screen, please contact us - we may be able to patch your deck or camera into our LCD video projector.

How much does it cost?
The Pioneer has very competitive rates, and we are very hospitable to visiting filmmakers.

To discuss rates, please call Ray at (212) 254 7107. He will call you back shortly. Rates can't be discussed in the abstract; please know exactly what you want and how you want to do it.

How many people can attend?
99 people can attend each screening, matching the number of seats in our theater. We do not allow standing room.

What will we provide?
A professional and completely private movie-theater experience, projection staff, and any other special requirements you may have. Concessions are available, either with complementary soda and popcorn for $100, or with concessions on sale (income kept by the Pioneer).

How far in advance should I call to book a rental?
As far ahead as possible.

The Pioneer requires payment of the entire rental fee in advance to confirm a rental. We accept cash as well as MasterCard, Visa, and American Express. Contact Ray at 212 254 7107 or send an email to film@ twoboots.com.

What if I need to cancel my screening?
There are no refunds.

How do I book a rental?
Check out the times of previously booked shows here: http://www.twoboots.com/pioneer/calendar_grid.html

Where there is no film listed, often there is availability - although sometimes there are unlisted private events, or our entire schedule has not been posted for that week. Please note that 9pm showtimes are almost never available.

When you have a few times to propose, contact Ray at 212 254 7107.

If you're interested in renting the Pioneer for our Birthday Matinees, E-mail Ray at film@ twoboots.com after checking out our FAQs.

Re: would a dvd projector only screening room be worth it? 12 Dec 2005 21:04 #11557

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
I have a 55 seat aud just for DVD. It's worth it because I'm willing to chase down product. My booker is also coming up with product or getting me the rights for DVD rentals. I'll let you know in a couple of months, but it seems to be a good idea. Right now I'm just running DVD thru an Eiki x50 and people are loving it. Also, really handy when a groups wanna rent the room for a "corporate lunch." Right now we are doing a documentary that has no distibution and it's going almost as well as the film rooms. We're working toward doing fun series like Pink Panther or Sci Fi--or running bad biker films with WORLD'S FASTEST INDIAN. Also, never underestimate the power of a local film maker doing something in DVD that can be played in your theater. Brings 'em like crazy.

[This message has been edited by Avalon (edited December 12, 2005).]
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction