Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!!

4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!! 26 Sep 2005 08:53 #11517

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
Come on you doom and gloomers: you must be able to find a way to spin bad news out of good news.
I will say that "4th up weekend" beats the hell out of "4th straight down weekend." From Box Office Mojo.......

'Flightplan,' 'Corpse Bride' Give Rise to Lively Weekend
by Brandon Gray
September 25, 2005

Not surprisingly, a woman-in-jeopardy thriller out-gunned a necrophilic animated feature in a September showdown. Both pictures' solid bows, though, contributed to the fourth up weekend in a row over 2004—the top 12 movies out-grossed last year's crop by 51 percent.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!! 26 Sep 2005 19:30 #11518

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Good news indeed! Looks like a decent fall season, and a strong holiday time frame as well.

Re: 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!! 26 Sep 2005 23:27 #11519

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Before we start crowing too loudly, remember that last year at this time was really, really lousy, and well below most of the previous several years... I too hope the corner has been turned, and that we'll be able to finish the rest of the year above "average."... But even IF that happens, it's gonna take a major boxoffice boom to bring the past several months totals up to last year's so-so final numbers, which were not outstanding...

Re: 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!! 29 Sep 2005 11:47 #11520

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
It has more to do with how the titles in the weekends match up then anything else.

This year the last weekend of September saw the release of two of the major fall titles (Flightplan and Corpsebride) vs.nothing last year. This coming weekend (Oct 1) Serenety goes against the big ones from last year (Shark Tale and Ladder 49). I'll make a prediction that this coming weekend will be substantially behind last year.

But instead of releasing both Flightplan and Corpsebride head-to-head why not spread the two of them out? Its not there is anything going to do much business for most of October.

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited September 29, 2005).]

Re: 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!! 01 Oct 2005 14:16 #11521

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
"It has more to do with how the titles in the weekends match up then anything else."

Sure does. Boxofficeguru is already reporting a 22% drop, this Friday 05 vs the same Friday 04.

Re: 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!! 03 Dec 2005 14:58 #11522

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
Looks like even Harry Potter's legs are a little wobbly after only 2 weeks. I know were comparing a holiday weekend to a non holiday weekend. But still a Friday to Friday drop of 78% is steep for a tent pole picture like Harry Potter. Forecast is now showing $16 - $18 mil for the weekend.

Re: 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!! 04 Dec 2005 14:00 #11523

• Mike
  • Administrator
This is getting pretty tiresome to me. Is my business as good as last year: no. Is it better than it was 10-9-8-7-6-5--4-3 years ago: yes to all the above. Enough already. Besides bitching and moaning about how the sky is falling, can the Chicken Littles tell me what things you are doing proactively so that your business improves and succeeds? The negativity of some of you people is killing me. Wah-wah-wah. It's really depressing. And you're wrong. And nothing special. Try being a local hardware store going up against Home Depot. Try being a NBC or CBS as cable news eats your lunch. Try competing against Wal-Mart. Try having a job where they just cut 35,000 jobs like at GM. Get a grip. Get to work. Enough said.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!! 04 Dec 2005 15:07 #11524

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
Not bitching or moaning, just looking at the facts. Would like to see just one picture this year have some strong legs. And not get wobbly after 2 weeks! Looks like Narnia might be a possibility. We are booking and running a lot of extra special shows for school and church groups for this one.

As far as competing with Walmart, I'll let the video stores deal with that. As long as Walmart doesen't get in the theatre business and build a 14 screen a mile away.

Re: 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!! 05 Dec 2005 15:07 #11525

• Mike
  • Administrator
Aren't the plex corps just Wal-Mart with another name?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!! 06 Dec 2005 07:09 #11526

• Pieman
  • Gold Boarder
Does anyone here regularly check their box office results and compare them to previous years? or is this just a once off thing??
Ive never looked..maybe I should!!

Re: 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!! 06 Dec 2005 16:44 #11527

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Absolutely! We check to see how we are doing and to assist in scheduling help.

Re: 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!! 07 Dec 2005 03:01 #11528

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
We're down this year. Boo hoo.

Re: 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!! 07 Dec 2005 10:32 #11529

• Mike
  • Administrator
Of course. We have been tracking ourselves against last year and against every year since day 1. Now we have 11 years at one theatre and this is the 4th year at the other. Aside from various dollar comparisons we especially use total head count and compare week to week, and month to month and year to year. We use a simple book and software sysetm called Beat Yesterday. http://www.beatyesterday.com/ check it out. You can't know where you're going if you don't know where you've been.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!! 07 Dec 2005 21:05 #11530

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I have always been a number cruncher. I keep a calendar book with all my figures in it each year.

I compare each week and month as well as the year against the previous three years for box office gross broken down by picture, concession sales, admissions, and theatre rentals.

2003 was the best grossing year I ever had. 2004 fell slightly. 2005 is way ahead of 2004 and as of this date I am ahead of 2003, but since I'm currenty closed due to boiler failure and I don't see a subrun Christmas picture (probably Chicken Little)that will perform anywhere close to what ELF did in 2003, I will probably finish slightly behind 2003, but still well ahead of 2004.

Box office is up about 8%. Concession is up about 5%. Admissions are down by 1/2 of 1%. I had a slight ticket price increase as of last Christmas. There were no price increases at the concession stand. Usually I would expect to have lost more in admissions with a price increase. My base ticket prices didn't change. Matinees stayed at All Seats $2.00. Evening adults stayed at $3.00. What did change was the evening price for kids and senior citizens which was $2.00 went to $3.00 so that the evening price became All Seats $3.00.

That small 1/2 of 1% decrease in admissions represents under 500 people for the entire year. One excellent grossing picture can change that. It's possible that Chicken Little over Christmas week could wipe out that loss. I'll just have to wait and see.

I'm still convinced that my good year, when most had a disapointing year, was due to my low prices and NO SCREEN ADVERTISING.

Re: 4th up weekend in a row vs. 04!!! 11 Dec 2005 13:40 #11531

• Mike
  • Administrator
Even if they wobble after 2 weeks isn't it more about if there are good films to take their place?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction