Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Rights for older movies?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rights for older movies?

Rights for older movies? 26 Nov 2005 18:05 #11358

I'm not going to deny that I am utterly clueless. Recently, a historic, one screen, balcony theater went up for sale in my town and I'm looking into the possibility of showing older movies there. If I wanted to show "classic" movies-- maybe old musicals from the 60s/70s or cult classics (Donnie Darko!) from the 50s-90s, where would I be able to find distributors?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Rights for older movies? 26 Nov 2005 18:20 #11359

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
there are repertory departments for some of the studios (Paramount and Warner Brothers are the ones that come to mind).

The feasibility of showing older films has been discussed to death in the archives of these forums. The short answer is: don't bother or do it very occassionally.

I'm showing "Breakfast at Tiffany's" for New Year's Eve and I hope to make a few bucks out of it but not very much at all. That'll, most likely, be the only one I play all year. There just isn't a market for older films anymore unless you're in a huge area and can draw from a boatload of people, and even then, you're going to have a hard time of it.
"What a crazy business"

Re: Rights for older movies? 27 Nov 2005 00:16 #11360

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
You are correct. It is certain death to do something like that. You may want to go to playing art films and indys but classics alone bad move.
Thinkof playing curretn movies and maybe setting certain dates to playing older movies and late shows maybe but you can't depend on making a movie house that just plays that!

Re: Rights for older movies? 27 Nov 2005 03:04 #11361

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Yes, talked to death.

Re: Rights for older movies? 02 Dec 2005 21:34 #11362

I humbly apologize for being incompetant at using the search tool-- but thanks for the (depressing but undoubtebly true) reality check.

Re: Rights for older movies? 02 Dec 2005 23:05 #11363

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
Why don't you play 2nd run and go art and play special movie festivals once a month! If your in a college town or near a city Midnight shows..people want to do that. There is a theatre in Virginia I beleive that does this on Friday and saturday and do very well. (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Lost Boys, The Wall, Goonies, etc..

Re: Rights for older movies? 03 Dec 2005 17:10 #11364

The only problem with that otherwise sound idea is the existence of a well established second-run theater already. With only one screen and no room to expand (city block) it would be hard to attrack people over from the other theater.

Re: Rights for older movies? 03 Dec 2005 21:57 #11365

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
How many screens does the other theatre have and rememebr you can always play different movies if he doesn't have a multiplex.

Re: Rights for older movies? 03 Dec 2005 22:37 #11366

The other theater is also quite old and has 1 large screen, but also one small "screening room" which is used all the time.

Re: Rights for older movies? 05 Dec 2005 03:36 #11367

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
Take a look at these guys:
http://members.tripod.com/~g_cowardin/byrd/

Re: Rights for older movies? 05 Dec 2005 13:17 #11368

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
That's an amazing web site. One of the theatres I worked at in Washington had a Simplex booth... something like that... minus the Brenograph and 16mm stuff. I've never seen a booth with a lighting panel that extensive though. I wonder if early union agreements included a stage hand up there.

I sure wouldn't want to get their heating bill!!!!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction