Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: EDI Thoughts

EDI Thoughts 12 Oct 2005 14:25 #11200

• mannooss
  • Senior Boarder
What are your opinions on the new monitoring technique of Warner Bros.? Or did only a few people get that letter?

mannooss
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: EDI Thoughts 12 Oct 2005 15:44 #11201

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
Post the letter.

Re: EDI Thoughts 12 Oct 2005 16:36 #11202

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
it basically said that we should report grosses to EDI instead of directly to WB. At least they give you a toll-free number to call. I wish they'd just join Rentrak so I could post them on the net.

"What a crazy business"

Re: EDI Thoughts 12 Oct 2005 18:29 #11203

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
We got it and they say there's no discussion /// just do it ////so I guess that is what we will do.

I have never liked EDI but there is a clause there that says your numbers will not be posted.

The reason I don't like it is I believe they use these numbers to plan new constructs against smaller theatres.

But.... what are you going to do. Just about anyone in thsi biz could figure out your grossing potential/actuals by doing your population and competition comparisons.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: EDI Thoughts 12 Oct 2005 21:51 #11204

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Once again, where is NATO on this matter?
EDI grosses are totally available for purchase by any competitor. Often EDI will try for other film grosses other than just the authorized film. We drill our employees on specific questions so that they will be prepared for the over reaching that EDI represents.

Re: EDI Thoughts 12 Oct 2005 23:15 #11205

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
Who cares? Just set your system to automatically upload to EDI as well as Rentrak ... and you're set. They both have IT people that can step you through it.

Re: EDI Thoughts 13 Oct 2005 11:37 #11206

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Been waiting for RTS to do just that. Currently it does not, just Rentrak. But I hear it is in the works to transmit to EDI in a future release.

Re: EDI Thoughts 13 Oct 2005 14:05 #11207

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
EDI & Rentrak grosses can be hidden from competitors if you so choose.

However, if you hide your grosses, you lose the ability to view others. If you report and show ... you can view the grosses of the other non-hidden grosses.

If someone wants your grosses, they'll get them one way or another. People at the film companies talk ...

Re: EDI Thoughts 13 Oct 2005 14:31 #11208

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
EDI will even sell ALL of them to you for a fee.

We are all in a partnership with other companies, with one half of our business (Ticket Sales). The other half is private and our own business (Concessions). Movies we rent and then revenue share the ticket sales. Concessions we buy out right, stock and resell.

Rentak actually came into business as a revenue sharing company for video stores.
A video store would sign up with them, and agree to pay a percentage of their video rentals to them. Rentak would provide the product to rent. This helped many stores ability to stock much more product. And have more copies available for their renting customers. This greatly helped video stores free up capital that didn't have to be put into outright purchase of videos.

The stores were then networked direct to Rentak to track the rentals.

Rentrak now had a network in place, and a working relationship with the Hollywood distributors. Then a few years ago they decided to also gather data from theatrical releases playing at theatres. Moving in on the monopoly that EDI had for many years..

Re: EDI Thoughts 13 Oct 2005 15:52 #11209

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
Who Cares?
I certainly see no reason to make my annual boxoffice gross public knowledge. Sure you can get the grosses by asking the film companies, but getting an entire year of grosses is much harder to compile. For publicly traded companies disclosure is no big deal, however as an independent theater I see no reason to cooperate with EDI if I don't have to.
Once you have the boxoffice gross its pretty easy to estimate concession sales. Same reason I won't buy concessions from companies that finance cinemas. Too easy to figure the numbers.
I would never link my computer to rentrak
or EDI. Just seems to be asking for a privacy issue.

Re: EDI Thoughts 14 Oct 2005 00:49 #11210

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
Again - does it matter if people know your grosses? If so, why?

Re: EDI Thoughts 14 Oct 2005 19:05 #11211

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
Mike
Two reasons: Privacy and competition.
Just as you would not post your income for all to see neither do I want my grosses available for scrutiny. It is a simple matter of privacy -I realize it is not total privacy but I am not going to make it any easier for someone to know what my business does. Again for a chain or publicly held cinema perhaps no bg deal, but for a sole proprieter it is a more personal invasion of privacy.
2ndly competition. If I have a three screen theater that has good grosses but not stadium seating I am going to be more vulnerable to competition if everyone has access to my numbers. The thinking being I can knock off the older cinema with a new one. I can think of several of these cases in my area that have happened over the years.

What advantage is there in publicizing your grosses on the web?

Re: EDI Thoughts 15 Oct 2005 00:51 #11212

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Does anyone have the address to send that EDI/WB form back to? I lost the return envelope.

Re: EDI Thoughts 22 Oct 2005 18:38 #11213

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
Burney,

Fax your form back to Leah at 818-986-7559.

Did anyone else receive the letter from EDI that also deals with this issue? Basically, in a major change for EDI, they will now give you as a theatre owner free access to their Flash grosses site IF you report all your grosses to EDI.

While others have posted about why they felt they shouldn't have to report their grosses, I am firmly in the camp that believes we would all be better off if everyone reported all their grosses to both Rentrak and EDI. Why? Because it levels the playing field and allows true theatre to theatre comparison, which when you are fighting for a specific film, can be used to your benefit. I operate in a competitive zone in a county filled with 6 other non-competitive zones. Only the 3 theatres in the competitive zone report. Yet in terms of market, the county is essentially one market with one daily newspaper. The three theatres in the competitive zone compete with all the non-reporting theatres. Why should operators who operate in both type zones get the advantage of seeing our numbers when we can't see theirs? It's a question of fairness and I believe the fairest solution is for one of the studios to be brave enough to require ALL theatres to report and report publically.

Re: EDI Thoughts 23 Oct 2005 09:41 #11214

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
I've had FLASH access from EDI for well over two years now ...
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction