Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Venice CA theatre possibilities

Venice CA theatre possibilities 27 Oct 2005 18:24 #11182

• hoochbcs
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

Forgive me if I come across naive. I tried searching the past posts but I really don't even have enough information at this point to know what it is I am searching for. I'm looking into the possibility of opening a 2-3 screen independent theatre in Venice California. If you're familar with the community, it's very difficult to understand why such a place doesn't already exist. Here's the question that would clear up a lot on my end
Venice's neighboring cities of Mar Vista and Playa Del Rey have no movie theatres. In Marina Del Rey which is no more then a mile away, there's a UA and a Loews that show primarily the wider released films. In Santa Monica, the bordering city to the north of Venice, there's 6 or 7 movie theatres that cover basically every film being released with a 4 screen independent theatre in the mix. The even more independent fims (last year's The Machinist for example) can be seen
at several 1 and 2 screen places but there's about 7-10 miles away. NuArt theatres shows the films that Laemmle doesn't pick up. So, my question is are there rules/laws that would prohibit a theatre in one city from showing a film in a neighboring city? Marina Del Rey and Santa Monica are about two miles apart and their theatres show the same films every week. What would prevent me from opening a place and say showing one commercial film and one artsy? I'll worry about costs and everything as I move forward, I'm mostly interested in any legal ramifications and if anyone knows of any history of theatres in Venice, CA.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Venice CA theatre possibilities 27 Oct 2005 19:29 #11183

• Avco
  • Expert Boarder
It's been done before and failed. There was an old Fox Theatre located on Lincoln Blvd. near Rose Ave.. This Fox Venice was operated by the same company that operates the Nuart in West Los Angeles. Before that it was part of Mann Theatres. During its last days as a Mann Theatre in the mid 70's, it ran double features at bargain prices. Mann dropped the theatre and the other company operated it. They ran revival and independent features. They had a great following like the Nuart. But the area started to change. People wouldn't go out after dark. In Santa Monica there many entertainment offerings and Marina Del Rey too. The shell of the Fox Venice is still there, but it has been gutted for use as a swap meet. I use to live in Santa Monica for a number of years and then three years in Venice. There is alot of cars that pass though the area, but the foot traffic at night is not very good.
One problem is all the good independent pictures will go to the Laemmle, Landmark and Goldwyn chains, if not Mann, Loew's or Regal in that area. There might be a few mile clearance between Santa Monica & Marina Del Rey. Goldwyn has been planning a larger muti-plex on the westside at Pico & Westwood Blvds. were the old Pacific's Picwood Theatre once stood. The Westside is a very hard market, because Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, Century City (New AMC theatre), Westwood and Culver City.

[This message has been edited by Avco (edited October 27, 2005).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction