Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby 4- vs. 7-day bookings
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 4- vs. 7-day bookings

4- vs. 7-day bookings 18 Oct 2005 00:53 #11153

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
The original Zorro was one of my favorite feel-good type movies. I saw the new one last week and thought it was just as good. I am trying to open it for two four-day weekends with a three-day moveover at the second theatre. Have any of you booked this yet for less than 14 days?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 4- vs. 7-day bookings 18 Oct 2005 04:37 #11154

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
In my corner of the world usually anything less than full week bookings for indoor theatres is unheard of.

Re: 4- vs. 7-day bookings 18 Oct 2005 09:15 #11155

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
Hey Burney/ our new schedule at my 2nd theatre is open Weds-hurs-fri-sat-sun. I have yet to try and book first run films with that schedule as we had been closed for a few months and had great stuff to choose for filling in during Sept/Oct. Now the big stuff starts coming and my booking fingers are getting itchy. I did see a theatre south of me that playted Wallace and G on the button and they are only open FRi-Sat-Sun so I was kind of shocked that it was allowed.

What has been your experience in getting first run when you do not have a full week schedule?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: 4- vs. 7-day bookings 18 Oct 2005 19:37 #11156

• gusinc
  • Fresh Boarder
Depends on location, any clearance issues, the distributor, and the movie they are currently pushing. I did hear about the Fri Sat Sun W & G deals. Have to play it for 3 weekends.

Re: 4- vs. 7-day bookings 18 Oct 2005 21:27 #11157

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
We opened W & G at our single screen that is only open Fri, Sat, & Sun. We only had to play it for two week-ends. We are also going to show Chicken Little on the break at the single screen for two week-ends only, while the four screen has to play it for 4 full weeks. Disney actually called and asked us if we were interested in opening Chicken Little at the single screen for just the two week-ends. They seem to really like what we can gross on just 3 days a week!

Re: 4- vs. 7-day bookings 18 Oct 2005 21:53 #11158

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I have played a few openers on the short schedule for two weekends, F-S-S-M at one and F-S-S at the other. Probably could have gotten W&G, but passed on the break. I still book most openers 2-3 weeks out w/o a problem.

Re: 4- vs. 7-day bookings 19 Oct 2005 14:28 #11159

• gusinc
  • Fresh Boarder
Looks like Fri Sat Sun only on the break bookings are fairly common. Is it more common with certain distributors? Type of movie? i.e. Family films, super wide releases.

Re: 4- vs. 7-day bookings 19 Oct 2005 16:34 #11160

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
I suspect this has more to do with the area, than with the distributor... There are very few "weekenders" left around my area any more, but even when there were several, they never played first run... Nearly all the remaining theaters here play first run, and I often wonder how some can make a buck staying open 7 days, and paying first run percentages with populations under 5,000...

Re: 4- vs. 7-day bookings 19 Oct 2005 22:21 #11161

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
With us, it is usually with the super wide releases. It also helps to have really good grosses.

Re: 4- vs. 7-day bookings 19 Oct 2005 23:18 #11162

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
If you have really good grosses ... that begs the question - why a weekend only operation?

Re: 4- vs. 7-day bookings 20 Oct 2005 07:27 #11163

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I used to run a 4-day operation but last January I switched to 7-day and have never looked back. Now when a big event comes during a weekend it doesn't necessarily kill the run entirely.
"What a crazy business"

Re: 4- vs. 7-day bookings 20 Oct 2005 14:28 #11164

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Partial week bookings on first-run pictures used to be unheard of here, too. However, it's happening more and more... even at drive-ins, which only run one performance a night.

We booked several of them this year, and I'm seeing the practice at other independent theatres in the area.

Re: 4- vs. 7-day bookings 20 Oct 2005 15:23 #11165

• gusinc
  • Fresh Boarder
I think when theatre counts started to matter to the distributors is when it changed. 10 prints at a 20 screen megaplex still only counts as 1 theatre.

Grosses don't seem to matter all the time either. Have seen a lot more "low grossing" theatres playing on the break lately. Meeting the minimum ticket price per cap does seem to matter though.

Re: 4- vs. 7-day bookings 20 Oct 2005 23:29 #11166

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
We are only open week-ends because our town is a resort town area that is only on the map because of the 750 acre lake. People come from the city on the week-end to get away to their cottage on the lake. Our towns permanant population is about 2,000 people and we probably have less than 12,000 with in a 10 mile radius of us (and that includes 3 other towns with no theatres). We have quite a few local regulars, but not enough to justify the extra overhead of operating more days a week. The theatre used to also be open on Thursdays, and when the Thursday show was eliminated, the grosses remained pretty much the same for 3 days as they were for 4 days. If we were selling out the place on a regular basis, we would definately add extra days and/or extra shows.

Re: 4- vs. 7-day bookings 25 Oct 2005 12:25 #11167

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
We have Zorro coming into one of our theatres for a 2 week run and we are open for 5 days a week. I think it's a pic by pic arrangement: do they want that screen? Limited runs you can forget about it but wide means wide: but not with harry Potter apparenmtly as Warner told me 4 week minimum run.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction