Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Marquee repair-Housecall?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Marquee repair-Housecall?

Marquee repair-Housecall? 19 Oct 2005 18:47 #11147

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
My vintage tin marquee got a corner bent by some heavy equipment today. Other than Wagner is there anyone out there that can make a housecall to repair the damage? Someone on the East coast perhaps-Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Marquee repair-Housecall? 19 Oct 2005 23:23 #11148

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I'm sorry that I can't suggest anyone, unless you're in the Allentown, Pa. area, but I know what your going through. My historic marquee has been hit by trucks twice during the 35 years that I have had it.

I was lucky each time that the damage was minimal. My local neon sign man came out and fixed the damaged tin. In both cases incandescent bulbs were broken off, but no neon was hit.

The first time, I was at the theatre when it happened. I heard the sound of broken glass and looked out front only to see a large box van pulling out from in front of the theatre, the high box portion scraping against the front of the marquee. It punched a hole in the metal, and took out about 15 bulbs. I ran out as the truck started down the street. I literally ran into the street and jumped onto the running board on the drivers side and pounded on the window. He said that he had no idea that he had hit the sign. Maybe not, but had I not jumped aboard his truck to stop him, he would have driven away. The trucking companies insurance paid for the repair.

This past year, early one morning before I got to the theatre, a trash truck with a lift attachment hit the marquee with the lift. One of my tenants in a 2nd floor apartment heard it and looked outside and overheard them discussing the fact that they hit the sign. They just drove away without leaving a note or telling anyone. She immediately called me and I called the police. The police stopped them a few blocks down Main street and told them somone saw them hit the sign. I got a call from the companies home office within the hour saying they were sorry and that they would pay for the damage, which they did.

In each case none of the wiring inside was broken. Had that happened it would have been a real mess with all the circuits for the chasers and flashers. I can't imagine what it would take to replace or repair them.

I can only suggest that you contact your local sign man, or a sheet metal shop to get a quote on your needed repair.

Re: Marquee repair-Housecall? 19 Oct 2005 23:57 #11149

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Any local sign company that does neon signs can repair yours. Just look in the Yellow Pages of your local phone directory under "Signs" and "Signs - Maintenance & Repair".

Re: Marquee repair-Housecall? 26 Oct 2005 20:18 #11150

• Jim Lipuma
  • Fresh Boarder
You can try Neon Exposure.

You can reach Dave @ 800-927-6175.

I had him make me a new marque this summer, and it is great.

Good Luck
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction