Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby FIRST CRACK IN THE DIKE
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: FIRST CRACK IN THE DIKE

FIRST CRACK IN THE DIKE 18 Oct 2005 02:44 #11118

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
I have been wondering how much further the string could be stretched before it starts to unravel... When I went to the Post Office today, I bought stamps and asked how long before postage will be going up... They said they expect it will be in January... Then, one of the main stories on the news tonight was that General Motors is cutting back on its contributions to employee health insurance costs, and the workers are going to have to make up the difference... Amazingly, both the workers and their Union seem to be going along with it, and prefer to take the cut rather than see GM go belly up, and lose it all... The real effects of this energy cost thing haven't even happened yet, so DO hang on for a bumpy ride...

Anyone who still thinks the Movie Biz is going to heal up in the very near future, and that we aren't in for some big lumps ala the early and mid-1980s, please hold up your hand and explain why!...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: FIRST CRACK IN THE DIKE 18 Oct 2005 10:58 #11119

• D. Bird
  • Expert Boarder
GM has been doing poorly for a number of years, more to do with increased competition and lacklustre response to their product line. I agree, it would be bad to see them fail, but most automakers are in that position once in awhile. Remember Chrysler and the minivans and K-Cars that saved them?

Re: FIRST CRACK IN THE DIKE 18 Oct 2005 22:43 #11120

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Originally posted by D. Bird:
GM has been doing poorly for a number of years, more to do with increased competition and lacklustre response to their product line."

Hmmm, that same description sounds just like the current state of the Movie Exhibition business... Do ya 'spose the government is gonna help US out with a financial bailout?...

[This message has been edited by outaframe (edited October 19, 2005).]

Re: FIRST CRACK IN THE DIKE 20 Oct 2005 14:59 #11121

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
It's my contention that many exhibitors are doing poorly because they are playing whatever the distributors throw at them rather than doing more creative booking and local promotion of films available from all around the world.

Most everyone is playing the same thing and allowing the distributors to do the promoting (which is never local).

Exhibitors need to get back to being a part of the community and make their presence known in community events and sponsorships.

(Before you start throwing things at me I know there are some who are really trying. This is a generalized opinion.)

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: FIRST CRACK IN THE DIKE 21 Oct 2005 00:02 #11122

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm sure not gonna throw anything at ya, Bob, and I 100% agree with your ideas about playing what fits your location and audience, rather than just whatever is the latest release... The point I hoped to make is that EVERYTHING will eventually go up as a result of the recent and threatened future energy cost increases, and that is going to leave everyone with less net cash to spend... In the overall scheme of things, to MANY people seeing a movie in a theater is no longer a priority, and likely to be amoung the first things they will eliminate in an effort to stay ahead of the tidal wave of inflation...

Re: FIRST CRACK IN THE DIKE 23 Oct 2005 09:30 #11123

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Weather has always been a great business booster for us. This weekend we had rain and chilly temps. And heard a lot of comments from patrons that it was a good reason to come out to the movies.

On the down side, just read that Friday 2004 to Friday 2005 was down 35%. And just heard on the sunday morning news that sugar has doubled in price. Which I am sure will be showing up in candy prices soon.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction