Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Still Confused about 3d?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Still Confused about 3d?

Still Confused about 3d? 04 Oct 2005 03:03 #11111

• SamCat
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Having read a few articles I am still very confused as a Cinema operator to decide which 3d compay to go for and what the future will hold for us.
With InThree, Nuvision, Imax and Real d all fighting over the future $$$$ in distributing/exhibiting movies in 3d. Does anybody have any thoughts or knowledge on what in-three, Imax, Nuvision and real d are planning?
Will they run on all 2d movies or just a few each year? WIll us as exhibitors have to join both inthree and real d to screen all the 3d movies? Will they work together on the same digital projector/screen etc?
Will there be any more fees involved for distribution? I understand Imax are approx 3-5% extra on the Gross $$$ or maybe say Approx $30,000 US whichever the greater for DMR MPX Imax movies on top of the fees you normally pay to the distributor. IMAX is also as a guess about $10,000 US per year for servicing. Does anybody know the exact amounts? They say they are going to do about 5-6 DMR movies per year.
I have head that real d is $50,000 US upfront and $25,000 per year with about two movies per year. I think they are doing Chicken Little and Monster House.
I guess that Real D is for small screens and Imax MPX is for 21 metre screens max.
Does anybody know about the deals for In-three and Nu-Vision?
Where is the future going to be with these systems?
What will happen if In-Three wins the courtcase with Imax? Will we all have 3d.

What will happen if Imax wins?

How come Chicken Little was converted from 2d to 3d and there was no patent to stop them doing it as with the case with inthree and Imax?

Has anybody seen the quality of all the systems. I have only seen Imax MPX and Imax GT and they looked very good but how do the digital systems compare? Is Showscan 3d still around? How did it compare?

Are they all worth the money?

If our competitors get the 3d market are we going to lose market share?

Which is the best system to go for?

How long do you think it will be until we have to make a decision and we see all the 3d systems and movies come out?

Do you think it is a fad or is it here to stay?

Your thoughts please.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Still Confused about 3d? 06 Oct 2005 00:47 #11112

• SamCat
  • Expert Boarder
FROM THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER 6/10/05:

TOP 3 EXHIBS ROLL WITH REAL D

By Nicole Sperling

After months of haggling and deal brokering, the country's top three theater chains have either signed or are about to sign five-year contracts with digital 3-D provider Real D for 3-D exhibition. Its system will be in place in time for next month's release of Walt Disney Pictures' "Chicken Little," which proved to be a tipping point for the agreements.

Real D has completed deals with AMC Entertainment and Loews Cineplex and is in final negotiations with Regal Entertainment Group.

By adopting Real D's technology in advance of the release of Disney's first homegrown CGI-animated film, which bows Nov. 4, the exhibition community is making one of the first tentative steps in the rollout of digital cinema.

Real D said the participation of the top three exhibitors, in addition to several smaller chains, will result in 85 locations where "Little" can be screened in 3-D. Excluding Regal, 20 chains have signed on.

The list of exhibitors now on board also includes the Boston-based National Amusements theater chain, which intends to install 10 systems in its circuit, as well as Century Theatres, headquartered in San Rafael, Calif. Century declined comment on the number of systems it will employ.

Absent from the list are such top 10 exhibitors as Cinemark USA and Carmike Cinemas.

The 85 systems matches the number announced by Disney Studios chairman Richard Cook when he discussed plans for "Little's" rollout at a demonstration of its 3-D footage Sept. 22.

Neither Disney nor technology partner Dolby Labs, which is responsible for the digital cinema servers and the system integration, would confirm the exhibitor list provided by Real D.

Regal is in negotiations to install 15 projectors across its circuit, according to sources involved in the deal. AMC has confirmed that it will install two systems, one in its Willowbrook 24 theater in Houston and the other in the Town Center 20 location in Kansas City, Mo. Loews is expected to install eight systems.

The smaller circuits, which have long been looking for a way to distinguish themselves from their competitors, appear even more eager to adopt the new technology.

Dallas-based Rave Motion Pictures has signed an agreement to install the systems in nine of its theaters. The 5-year-old theater circuit has been trying to differentiate itself from such larger competitors as Cinemark and AMC by offering consumers a unique moviegoing experience.

"Real D is the first truly transforming technology to meaningfully enhance the moviegoing experience," Rave president and CEO Tom Stephenson said. "Digital cinema is nothing without 3-D -- 3-D is the killer app for digital cinema."

Said Real D chairman Michael Lewis: "Real D is the next step in the evolution of cinema. It provides our exhibition partners with premium entertainment experiences that can't be duplicated at home."

The 3-D implementation was first announced by Disney, Dolby and Real D in advance of the CinemaExpo convention in Amsterdam (HR 6/27). At the time, the companies said they would install 100 systems in the top 100 markets, even though they had no advance commitment from the exhibition community. Since then, reps from the three companies have haggled long and hard with exhibitors, who have been reluctant to commit to extra expenditures for new technology when the prospective financial returns are unknown.

Dolby and Real D negotiated separate contracts for the systems. Sources said Real D's contract requires a $50,000 upfront payment, primarily for the installation of its silver screen, and $25,000 a year for five years. However, if the flow of 3-D product -- at this point confined to "Little" and Sony Pictures' release of "Monster House" in summer 2006 -- does not remain constant, then deal points with Real D will be renegotiated, sources said. The industry projection is for three to four 3-D films a year.

In contrast, Dolby has required exhibitors to sign 10-year contracts with the San Francisco-based tech company. Dolby is fronting most of the costs of installing its digital system, which costs about $85,000 per screen. Distributors will pay Dolby a virtual print fee of $1,200 per screen per movie. The exhibitors remain in negotiations with Dolby over maintenance contracts and warranty issues for the equipment, sources said.

Another challenge holding up the 3-D installation is the number of digital 2K projectors ready for deployment. Dolby already has announced that it purchased all 50 of Christie's available digital projectors.

Sources said the breakdown for deployment is 51 Christie projectors and 34 Barco systems -- all the stock available in North America.

Real D hopes to announce additional exhibition partners in the coming months as it works toward its goal of equipping more than 1,000 screens globally with Real D systems over the next two years.

Re: Still Confused about 3d? 06 Oct 2005 04:18 #11113

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
For what it's worth, 3-D seems to be "reborn" every 10 years or so, amoungst a huge amount of hoopla and predictions that it's going to be the standard of the future... They make a few substandard movies with all the usual gimmics, and it quietly limps over to the corner and hibernates for another 10 years... In the early 1980s when the over & under system came along, I "bought" all the hype and made plans to put in a silver lenticular screen, buy the mirror boxes and all the other crap, but THANKFULLY had the good sense to attend the demo trade screening of "Jaws 3-D" before I ordered the stuff... I walked out of the screening after 15 minutes, came home, gathered up all the literature and tossed it into a file cabinet, where it has remained undisturbed since... Henry Ford is supposed to have said "Be not first by whom the new is tried, nor last to lay the old aside."... Not a bad philosophy to live by!...

Re: Still Confused about 3d? 06 Oct 2005 22:57 #11114

• SamCat
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Ron

It could be a fad but this time I think it is here to stay. This is shy I think so.

(1) Today they are able to convert any 2d movie to 3d. In the past it had to be shot with two cameras.
(2) The quality of the conversion I beleive is better (although I am not an expert).
(3) Digital cameras and computers and other technology will make sure that the 3d movies are alot more frequent and of better quality than in the past.
(4) Today we also have better polarized glasses which I guess might have also helped the quality over the throwaway carboard ones.
(5) When you watch them it seems so real that I don't think they could easilly duplicate it at home with he same standard.

I think that there is going to be alot more interest, alot more public wanting to see the 3d version such as Polar Express and alot more demand for 3d movies.
I think that the the producers are going to see an increased profit and increased word of mouth from converting their movies to 3d.
I guess we just have to see how Chicken Little goes.

Re: Still Confused about 3d? 07 Oct 2005 00:39 #11115

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
3-D is just another gimmick.

Will it make the story any better? NO

Will it make the acting better? NO

Will it lower the film rental? NO

Why even bother with it in the first place?

Re: Still Confused about 3d? 07 Oct 2005 08:14 #11116

• lionheart
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I agree with a lot of what Ken says. 3D will not likely give movies more substance.

However, quality acting and storylines are not necessarily what sells all tickets. What is a big part of the formula for a blockbuster in recent years? It's special effects like bigger explosions, better car chases, more destruction, etc. These help make an action flick that will sell tickets.

If the movie-goer can feel like he is right there where the action is, all the better. Isn't that why films are shown on the big screen in the first place?

I'm not saying that 3D will ever be used in all films, but with improving technologies and techniques, it is probably only a matter of time until something exists that will become widely accepted. Is the current generation of 3D technology the one? I don't know. I haven't seen it yet. Even if I had, my opinion is not the important one. It's the opinion of the masses that will matter. If it sells tickets, you can bet you will see more and more of it.

The most realistic 3D film I've seen was at a major theme-park. Yeah there was stuff that flew off the screen. Cool. But, what might be more applicable to a larger number of films was the depth that the whole presentation had. When the curtain opened, it looked like we were seated in front of a stage, not a screen. A very deep stage at that.

I've been told by people who've seen this film and other more recent theme-park films, that it isn't the best they've seen. This tells me that if a film-maker has the vision to make proper use of the format, a movie could be make to look like it was happening in our actual presence, like a live performance. A dialogue piece could make a person feel like he is sitting in a Broadway theater or something similar. Grander scale films would of course benefit as well.

Ok, maybe this is a little extreme, but it could happen. Only time will tell. If it does, you might be happy to pay for the equipment to exhibit the product. Especially if it brings crowds of people into your theater. I don't think digital is enough better to draw massive crowds beyond what already attend films, but I could envision that something like a fantasticly realistic 3D trend might do it. It shouldn't be gimmicky, but a real tool to improve the ability of the producer, director, actors, etc. to tell the story and enthrall their audiences.

Re: Still Confused about 3d? 22 Oct 2005 13:28 #11117

• 3dallan
The only digital format that will seem to be an improvement over 35mm film is big expensive 4K that is not available yet. There is a better overall path for the
theater industry. It will facilitate easy
polarized 3D, while bringing back some of the magic of old time "heyday" 70mm roadshow
presentation. Yet it is done with 35mm film!
It is called CINE 160 3D, the the stereo 3D mode or CINE 160 in the flat mode. The
process is well proven, as it is 35mm based.
In fact the inexpensive projectors run 35MM
conventional prints. But if the theater has a CINE 160 print booked, a tech can change the movement module to show 6 PERF PULLDOWN
35MM! The 160 part of the name refers to the 1.6 times great image area. 3D is displayed left above right in widescreen. The extra light and film size,provides a very superior result. Flat films in the process are shown with an anamorphic lens, to fit the existing screens in multi-cinemas. At least some of the magic of 70mm can be delivered to the audience with this superior format. Print
cost as low because the prints are still on 35mm, but somewhat longer. The process is the logical world-wide way to go, until the final 4K format is reduced in cost to be affordable world wide. This would allow
at least 1000 theaters to immediately have
3D and "70mm flavored bigscreen", with 2D block busters. The projectors for 6 perf.
actually exist, (I have one, in fact) that
was once the center projector in a Cinerama
theater! I said it was proven technology,
so there is nothing to stop this but inertia!
Please, share this with a few key people like
Regal's Neal Pinsker, and help save this industry...Digital will take far too long to evolve!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction