Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby are movies a "non essential"?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: are movies a "non essential"?

are movies a "non essential"? 11 Oct 2005 16:13 #11078

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
Last night I escaped and watched the W & G Were Wabbit chew his way through big veggies. Now I went for free and they threw in fee M/M Peanuts too but on a Monday night there was 35 people in there on a rainy evening. In another room people were watching Grizzly Man and there was about 20 in there. I would not think of movies as an essential but neither is it a non essential. I suppose that if I was starving to death I'd think of movies as irrelevant but even in Afghanistan and Iraq they're going to the movies. I think CHEAP (even at 7-8-9.00 per ticket) entertainment is essential. We are the cheapest social entertainment there is. Of course you can stay home. What's so great about that.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: are movies a "non essential"? 11 Oct 2005 17:09 #11079

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
To a guy whose crdit cards are maxed, the utility bill is a little bit behind, the car payment can't be made till next payday, and the mortgage payment is looming up ahead shortly: yes, I'd have to say going to a movie becomes a non-essential... He probably got in that predicament by being unwilling to wait until he could afford what he wanted, and demanded instant gratification for every whim... He may have even gone to the movies once a week at one time... This guy and many others just like him are common, according to many financial experts...

He may not like giving up his trip to the movies, but eventually something has to give... At worst, he can sit home in his chilly living room and watch A movie on his cable, satellite, whatever, for "free" (he has to pay for the service whether he watches it or not)... It won't be the movie he'd see in your place, or mine, but it will be one that we probably played scant months ago, or one from that period we DIDN'T play... We once had the advantage of exclusive product (and sometimes even highly superior product) to lure those who CAN easily afford to come to our places, but that exclusivity is only a matter of a few weeks, or months now... For those who can't easily afford to come, it becomes non-essential...

[This message has been edited by outaframe (edited October 12, 2005).]

Re: are movies a "non essential"? 11 Oct 2005 18:22 #11080

• Avco
  • Expert Boarder
For the last few years, I use to see 10-12 movies a month in a theatre. Today I'm lucky if I see 1 movie in a theatre. I work in the film business, not theatres. It's so much easier to see the movies at home now. I've been given free tickets to see films, but I still don't use them. There is so many other things other than movies, now that are trying for the entertainment dollar here in Manhattan. Admission to a movie here is $10.75 a person, a Broadway show $90-$100, a museum is $8-15 dollars.

My problem is finding the Time. I work Monday thru Friday in the film business. And Saturday and Sunday I very rarely have time.

[This message has been edited by Avco (edited October 11, 2005).]
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction