Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby looking to build theater in small town
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: looking to build theater in small town

looking to build theater in small town 17 May 2005 21:37 #11043

I am near the Kansas city area which is a huge market and lots of biggies AMC, DIckinson, Cinemark and Globe plus some others. WE are actully in gardner 10 miles from KC and 10 minutes from the nearest theater which is in a outlet shopping mall and does not do good business. The next closest is AMC 10 minutes beyond that. OK what im looking at is there are several other small towns out beyond gardner and even further from a theater of any kind. We have Lawrence with kansas university about 50 miles away and they do have one theater but people will drive to KC just to get to a good theater because that one is old and junky from what we have been told and seen. Now gardner is growing rapidly infact it has gone from about 5000 to over 15000 in less then 10 years and they are expected to have 35000 by 2008-2010. My point is not only people here but people in the other small towns near here either drive 40 miles to lawrence or 30-50 miles to KC to see a movie because there is no other option. MY idea is this and please tell me if im wrong. BUild a theater on the edge of gardner near the next small town and you would attract the people from here as well as the next 3 or 4 small towns of 5000-10000 in population. I know AMC is big but i worked there for awhile at the closest AMC to us and people complain all the time that they show commercials during seating and before the movie and people were saying that it seems like they are coming to watch tv away from home and that they dont come to pay to see a movie to have to be shown commercials. Which i agree. I know that we would have competition but the whole idea is a theater in a small town that is growing all the time. People love to go to home town business now i dont know that the same holds true with a movie theater but anyway. Someone also brought up the idea that by allowing more jobs and helping to build more business in Gardner that we could get some funding from govt agencies. Now the AMC is a 29 plex and the Dixinson in the mall is 12. Thank you for your ideas and for your commments.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: looking to build theater in small town 18 May 2005 07:52 #11044

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
That seems like a heap of competition but it seems like it is far enough removed too. My brother-in-law lives there and they drive forever for everything. I wouldn't drive 50 miles for a movie if you paid me. It seems like this up and coming burb is ripe to me. You'd probably have to make it a pretty high screen count to keep the big boys out of there, though.
"What a crazy business"

Re: looking to build theater in small town 18 May 2005 11:47 #11045

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
I agree with Lee, be careful. If you have 5-10 million to invest then go for it, otherwise the big chains will overbuild you as they are always looking for growing markets. You need to be able to make a business plan work with the current demographics of a small town that is of no interest to the big guys and is not growing fast.

Re: looking to build theater in small town 20 May 2005 21:41 #11046

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
"You need to be able to make a business plan work with the current demographics of a small town that is of no interest to the big guys and is not growing fast."

That is such a problem with the banks when trying to get money for the purchase of a theater in a small town. They claim they have nothing to work with in case you go under. The equipment is worth nothing to them. They say there is no way to get there money back if you close down and leave the business.
That is why they want so much down almost 50% in most cases. Anyone who tell your different is not telling you the truth. Because in order for you to get a loan and only put 5-10% down you have to have a ton of money in the bank. And if that is the case why would you put so little down.
A theater is the toughest buy around especially the way things are going now and the way theaters have sky rocketed in price. The prices there asking for small town cinemas does not back up the net profit they are pulling in.
That is why your starting to see a lot of small town theaters close. They cant afford to run them cause there posting a loss every month and miraculously they want to get there losses back by charging outrageous prices.

Re: looking to build theater in small town 20 May 2005 22:57 #11047

I can understand that. There is no theater around here in any of the small towns never has been. I guess with Kansas city being close noone ever thought to build one here. BUt the closest AMC wasnt even built untill end of 97 and im not sure about the dickinson its around the same time. I use to work at AMC i cant think they would have any reason to build a theater out this way. I dont know that i have ever seen an AMC in a small town. I have heard most small town cinemas are owned by independent not big companies such as AMC and dickinson. BUt again we are not just a small town there are so many small towns close by that would draw people to. One thing people seem to do around here is travel to get to a good theater. The country club plaza on the missouri side of KC is a very upscale dining and shopping area. There are over 130 shopping places and 30 some eateries down there and it is a major hub for people everywhere to go to. But my point is there is a cinemark down there the nicest i have ever seen very unique with spanish design people go there alot because they want a theater with class and a theater with style not the mundane run in the mill theater that everyone else has. I believe with the right atmosphere meaning style not boring run in the mill theater and top sound systems decent sized screens and no commercials and no advertisements more and more people would hear about it and would drive across town to come to our theater as oppsed to AMC or wherever. People drive down to the plaza to the cinemark to see just a movie not to shop or anything. They will park in the garage go see a movie and leave. I asked several people once while down on the plaza asking them why do you come to the cinemark on the plaza? Do you live here on the plaza or near by or far away? IS it convient or some other reason. Most everyone said no i dont live close by some said they live right over here in olathe close to the AMC and DIckinson. I asked many who said they were coming from more then 10-15 miles why when there was a theater closer they responded because this theater has class and its just cool alot of them said. Some said because i can get more then the standard snak bar affair i can actully get a full meal and take it to my movie. Others said because its unique something different then all the others in town. The other biggest responce i got was because they dont ever show G rated movies and dont show alot of PG rated movies either. Noone under 16 is allowed in without an adult and some people said it makes for a much better movie going experience without crying babies and young kids running around playing video games and making lots of noise. Now i am not going to start a theater and say im sorry if you are under 16 you must have a parent present to see a movie. BUt where the cinemark is located on the plaza they can do that because the whole area is so upscale not that many kids go down there to begin with. No i understand no matter what its all speculation i could start a theater and be so busy im turning people away or i could bomb. I just know most of you here have good advice and lots or some experience in the movie business in one form or another and so thats why i asked your advice. I believe if done right this could take off. 1 dont show commercials before movies people dont come to see a movie to watch some silly commercials. 2. Showmanship a good movie everytime none of this junk alot of the theaters show around here with lines in the movie or sound fade in and out and just poor showmanship overall. 3. have enough screens to show different movies but at the same time not so many. You can always expand later on and that is the key figure out what is a good location close to some of the small towns but not to far from the main part of KC as to draw people from the theaters there who are tired of the mundane and the junk. I dont know i could be dreaming but this is my dream its what i have always wanted to do. BUt any advice anyone can give will be taken with much thought and any comments will to.

Re: looking to build theater in small town 21 May 2005 07:44 #11048

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
As long as you have financial backing go for it. Your dreams as displayed here seem well thought out and you have a strong belief in what your saying.
It sounds like you are speaking from experience and if you can pull it off and have the capital go for it!

Re: looking to build theater in small town 21 May 2005 13:56 #11049

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
I actually was an assistant manager at "The Palace" back in 1999 before I got promoted and started running my own theaters.

Re: looking to build theater in small town 21 May 2005 21:26 #11050

Are you talking about the palace in wichita or is there a palace here in KC?

Re: looking to build theater in small town 21 May 2005 23:19 #11051

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
The Cinemark on the Plaza is called "The Palace"

Re: looking to build theater in small town 21 May 2005 23:31 #11052

Oh yes i remember now i hear it called that sometimes. I think that is the best theater here in town. Although there are some art theaters one over in johnson county and a couple others that are old theaters that have been remodeled but kept alot of the old charm now i must say they have some style but i dont ever go im not an art fan and i prefer much bigger screens then they have.

Re: looking to build theater in small town 07 Oct 2005 22:59 #11053

Hello bigvoodoodaddy,
I was just wondering if you could post an update to your situation. I'm quite interested to see if you are going along with your plan and if so are you still as optimistic?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction