Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby other fuels for heat?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: other fuels for heat?

other fuels for heat? 10 Sep 2005 19:02 #11012

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
I just talked to someone who has a wood pellet hot water boiler with a 1000 gallon hot water talk foam insulated.... he fires it 2 x a day and it works like a charm with his hot water system.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: other fuels for heat? 16 Sep 2005 13:21 #11013

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Looking like it's time to sit down with some books and figure out a way to build a cold fusion reactor to provide both heat and electric for each home/business.

I see it replacing the 'wired' utilitys we have now, and the utility companies will just come out every so often to service your unit, and of course BILL YOU.

currently the closest I can come is a used diesel generator run off Bio-diesel fuel, though it wouldn't provide enough heat for a theate, it would be plenty for a house, and you sell the surplus electric back to the utility co.

So what ever happened to those guys who claimed they had cold fusion in a jar????

Tony.
tony.

Re: other fuels for heat? 17 Sep 2005 00:35 #11014

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
What about solar and wind?

Re: other fuels for heat? 17 Sep 2005 11:41 #11015

• D. Bird
  • Expert Boarder
Can't remember where it was, but watched a piece on some places in Asia (Taiwan?, China?) where the public utilities aren't too reliable, apartment buildings and homes use their own micro-generation plants for electricity and heat. They see these new fuel cell units as the way of the future.

Re: other fuels for heat? 17 Sep 2005 13:10 #11016

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I'd guess it was China, large undeveloped country, kinda hard to run wires to every little hut I imagine.

Maybe not cold fusion just yet, but we must have a better option than what we currently have!

Wind farms are great, I saw a bit about the on PBS a while back, real nice one in Cal. but they take up alot of room, and not every area has enough predictable wind to make them work enough.

Solar, collectors work great for heat, but to make electric so far it is not very effecent, mirror farms that focus a beam on a tower to make steam to run a turbine work, but take too much room, mirrors are constantly damaged and out of focus.

solar cells just arn't good enough for direct conversion yet...

Bio-Diesel is a easy one rite now, LOTS of used oil available, but how many of us would be allowed to run a noisy generator 24/7?

tony
tony.

Re: other fuels for heat? 18 Sep 2005 10:39 #11017

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
These are options that come up all the time... and the arguments against them are always the same.

Wind generators are too big... and just try to site a wind farm. The "NIMBY" factor kicks in as fast as if you were trying to site a nuclear plant.

Solar cells have been around probably longer than I have, yet I always hear the efficiency issue as the main factor against their use (cost is another). I understand they've gotten better, but they never quite seem to be good enough for mainstream use.

The conspiricy-theorist side of me has always wondered if the petroleum industry has had anything to do with the seemingly snail-like pace of alternative fuels development. When "Chain Reaction" came out in 1996, I though I could really buy into the concept... but then, it's only a movie, right?

As for our current technology, maybe it's largely a matter of the amount we each consume. A 1,000 watt radio station was built, using only solar energy. The panels collected more than the station needed during the day, which was stored in batteries, and a regulating system measured out the power from whichever source was available. It's an interesting concept, but something that full-power stations probably couldn't do without a football-sized collector field.

Any idea what it would take to run your theatre on solar or wind?

Re: other fuels for heat? 18 Sep 2005 13:07 #11018

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
We did a bunch of solar and wind and geo thermal, etc. calls and everyone I talked to said: how well are you insulated? We are now having 16" of poured insulation in our 6000 sq ft ceiling and 3" of spray foam on our exterior rear wall. The goal is to insulate until the fuel prices are driven down. In northern climes some kind of wood or pellet aux boiler makes sense if you have base board heat. All the exotics make you feel good but do not pay off. Insulation does pay off quickly.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: other fuels for heat? 19 Sep 2005 02:18 #11019

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
We are now having 16" of poured insulation in our 6000 sq ft ceiling

...hope it never gets wet, Mike!

Re: other fuels for heat? 19 Sep 2005 12:49 #11020

• RonOne50
  • Senior Boarder
Well I don't know what I am going to do the gas bill last year about ate my lunch in my now only town. I'm looking at replacing all the heat and air there but that will be about 32 thousand on a conservative estimate. I am getting ready to visit my banker about the need and see what can be done. You are damned by cost of you do and damned by the cost if you don’t and if you have the time payments eat in to the profits.
Quentin: Of course a woman is going to kill me. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Re: other fuels for heat? 07 Oct 2005 22:24 #11021

Just curious Mike, is there enough year-round sun for a solar system in Maine?

Also if anyone is interested in making bio-diesel. I recommend reading Maria "Girl Mark" Alovert's very practical guide to building an "Appleseed Fumeless" Biodiesel Processor http://pathtofreedom.com/pathproject/offthegrid/biodiesel.shtml

Good luck. I hope to learn from your experiments.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction