Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby WATCHING 'EM MAKE THE SAUSAGE
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: WATCHING 'EM MAKE THE SAUSAGE

WATCHING 'EM MAKE THE SAUSAGE 02 Oct 2005 02:02 #10981

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
When I was 11 years old (a L-O-N-G time ago) I accompanied my Dad who had a business appointment with the head of a major national meat packing plant in Chicago... The meeting had absolutely nothing to do with food, or the meat packing business, and I sat by quietly while they discussed their business... When they concluded their meeting the plant manager, who was a very nice gentleman, invited us to take a tour of the plant... He proudly showed us through the spotlessly clean facility which was all white and stainless steel, brightly lit, and smelled absolutely fresh and wholesome... At the end of the line hot dogs were moving in links along an overhead conveyer and he reached up, snapped one off, handed it to me and asked if I'd like to try one... Now these were the days long before all the reports about how "bad" certain foods are for you, and people generally ate what they liked... Well, I loved hot dogs, and this company made about the best you could buy, but at that particular moment I couldn't have eaten one if I had been paid... There's just something about seeing 'em made that kills your desire for one... I graciously thanked him, but "ditched" it at the first opportunity... So what does all this have to do with the movie business?...

Tonight, when I returned home, I switched on the tube to see what was on the late night wasteland... ABC has added yet another mindless space filler to its lineup... This one is an hour of nearly non-stop movie trailers, "celebrity" spots, and "how they did it" pieces called "Made in Hollywood."... AND it brought to mind that experience I once had in the meat packing plant... What I learned then was that you can know TOO MUCH about how some things are done... In many ways this show and the several others like it are actually harming the movie business RATHER THAN promoting it... The studios may be making a quick buck slapping this crap together, and the broadcasters may be saving a buck using this cheapo programming to fill time, but the movies themselves suffer as a result... Harry Houdini, nor David Copperfield would never reveal how it was done because to do so would kill the "magic" of the illusion, so why should we know all there is to know about how the thousands of Barbarians were created, or the spacecamp was made to appear in the desert, or the Gothic city was made so realistic... Movies are all about magic and illusion, and when you diminish the magic, you deminish the movies...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: WATCHING 'EM MAKE THE SAUSAGE 03 Oct 2005 10:09 #10982

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Outaframe has a good point there, and I attribute this new tell-all trend in Hollywood to two factors: (1) the guys who run the place now are strictly money men from the conglomerates that now virtually own the place. They never grew up in the arts and wouldn't know or care what 'art' was if it bit them.

(2) About 10 years ago there was a Writers' strike in Hollywood and the studios/conglomerates fought it furiously, and determined never to again be in a position where they could have their profits threatened even a little, so they devised the non-scripted "reality" shows and such as Outaframe speaks of. It wasn't until last year with the success of "Lost" and "Desperate Housewifes" that they realized that the public was bored stiff with the endless drivel of 'reality shows' and started to hire some experienced writers again. I hope such writing again holds sway, even if the real writing of the 1950s Golden Years is no longer to be seen. Maybe we won't be subjected to such as "Made in Hollywood" if the rest catch on and return to really well-written material. We can only hope.
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction