Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: real energy conservation/reform

real energy conservation/reform 01 Oct 2005 11:28 #10976

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
We were lucky and bought our fuel oil early this summer. Next year it will be double or more. I don't know what to do but I think anything that conserves oil-elec-gas needs to be thought about. What are you doing to cut back on fuel costs in the future?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: real energy conservation/reform 01 Oct 2005 13:32 #10977

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
I already did it, more than 20 years ago: I built an insulated curtain wall and eiminated heating and cooling about 30 feet of what is essentially just storage space and utility area behind the screen... I "shortened" the auditorium and eliminated the first few rows of "booker seats" which were both poor places to watch a movie from and seldom used, then respaced the remaining seats with wide comfortable aisles... I installed "air locks" (an additional insulated wall and set of doors into the lobby from the sidewalk) which both both reduced the lobby length by about 5 feet (and the area to heat and cool) AND eliminated air intrusion from the outdoors... I blew in a foot of insulation above the ceiling of the entire building, which ALSO eliminated about 95% of outdoor noise from overhead jet planes, police and fire sirens, etc... And when the existing huge old cast iron boiler finally developed a crack, I replaced it with a smaller high efficiency copper coil boiler sized to carry the reduced load of the other efficiency measures, and replaced the old cast iron radiators with new convector baseboard units... Energy costs had risen considerably by that time over what they had been when I bought the building in 1971 (a TOKEN by today's increases), BUT I immediately realized a consderable reduction in costs and increased comfort in this building built to 1928's standards and energy costs... It was probably the best money I ever spent, and has paid off handsomely since!... Unfortunately, there is little more that I'll be able to do to make this building more energy efficient, unless some new "miracle" heat source comes along that is exponentially more cost efficient than natural gas...

Re: real energy conservation/reform 01 Oct 2005 13:35 #10978

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Outaframe did it all and did it right. Now if only all of us had the money to do it too.
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: real energy conservation/reform 01 Oct 2005 13:59 #10979

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks JIM, for the kind words... The only way I could afford to do it, OR justify the cost was by doing the work myself...

Re: real energy conservation/reform 02 Oct 2005 18:35 #10980

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
We are about to have another 10" of poured insulation in our 6400 sq ft ceiling space. And we will have our rear wall spray foam insulated Corobond for a grand total cost of 12000.00!

Having just watched a long film on "peak oil" I am betting it will never be cheaper than it is today and endlessly more expensive to heat.

I sked a bunmch of different people and they all said the # 1 thing to do is insulate: no matter if you have heating or cooling costs/ insulation is the best beginning.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction