Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Best place to gain experience?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Best place to gain experience?

Best place to gain experience? 08 Jan 2001 12:56 #1096

• buddy
  • Fresh Boarder
I have been considering buying a single screen 2nd run(?) theater...but before I made such a drastic lifestyle change I wanted to take a part-time job in a local theater to see if the business is really for me. I have 2 theaters next to me and was wondering if anyone could give me their thoughts on which might offer me the best experience.

There is a small cinema grill that shows 2nd run movies and serves food restaurant style. There is also a 12 screen sony-loews theater that is the standard 1st run multiplex.

My first thought is to go with the cinema grill but I am wondering if I'd wind up with more restaurant experience than movie exhibition experiencece. The 12 screen would be more traditional movie experience but would be more corporate and I'm not sure if I'd beable to learn as much and/or what I did learn wouldn't be transferable to a smaller theater.

Any thoughts?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Best place to gain experience? 08 Jan 2001 13:36 #1097

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
I haven't been in the business for very long now, about one year. But I would think that you would be better off going with the twelve screen. You want to learn the movie business,anything else is just clouding your mind. True,the cinema grill is probably more of what you had in mind. But the more information you can gather, the better off you will be. That's my view on it.

Re: Best place to gain experience? 08 Jan 2001 13:42 #1098

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Go with the one where you get to work closest with the owner. No manager, who gets paid even if no one shows up for the show, understands what the real pressures are owning a business. You're wanting to learn to run the business, not sling popcorn or thread a projector (tho you'll need to learn those skills, too)
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Best place to gain experience? 09 Jan 2001 10:12 #1099

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
In the grill: you will learn a lot about food but if I'm not wrong a place like this always needs help. Take a job with either one who needs you first though I would not do anythink in a plex other than asst management or projection. Everything about concession on the lower rungs of the ladder can be learned very quickly. Work with one for 3 months and work with the other when they open up. Think of it as school and pay attention and ask a lot of questions.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Best place to gain experience? 09 Jan 2001 11:18 #1100

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Hmmm... maybe I should open a theatre management school. Possibly a correspondence course through the internet.

Any aplicants?

Re: Best place to gain experience? 09 Jan 2001 11:21 #1101

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Whoops....Make that "applicants"

Who would want to apply to a school where the teacher can't spell. Actually...can't type that well is what it is.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction