Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby IS THERE ANY MONEY IN SUBRUN
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: IS THERE ANY MONEY IN SUBRUN

IS THERE ANY MONEY IN SUBRUN 03 Jan 2001 22:06 #1079

• JWALKER
  • Fresh Boarder
I AM LOOKING AT A THEATER THAT ONE OF THE BIG BOYS HAVE PULLED OUT OF. I HAVE RUN A CINEMA CAFE (DRAFTHOUSE) FOR THE PAST 15 YEARS BUT HAVE LITTLE INFORMATION ON THE COST AND EXPENSES OF A REGULAR MOVIE THEATER.I AM THANKING OF TURNING THIS SEVEN PLEX INTO A SUBRUN OR POSSIBLY A COMBINATION FIRST RUN SUB RUN. HOW MUCH DOES THE AVERAGE PERSON SPEND ON CONCESSIONS? ARE CONCESSIONS SALES HIGHER OR LOWER FOR SUBRUN?WHAT PERCENTAGE OF COST SHOULD YOU HAVE ON CONCESSIONS? WHAT KIND OF PERCENTAGE OF SALES SHOULD YOUR LABOR BE? OF SALES WHAT PERCENTAGE IS ADMISSIONS AND WHAT PERCENTAGE IS CONCESSION GENERALY?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: IS THERE ANY MONEY IN SUBRUN 05 Jan 2001 14:49 #1080

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
For the most part subrun (especially discount $1.99 or below) is now almost completely dead. A combination of delayed avails and early video runs has done in this market.

A strange thing too.... it used to be there were pictures that would do well in discount that did not perform that well first run (generally those for which there was some interest but for which audience perception was that they were not worth the price of a first run ticket). This is no longer the case. If a pic does nothing first run there is no subrun either.... regardless of quality or alleged audience interest.

With regard to the concesssion question one would think that paying less for admission the audience would therefore spend more at the stand.....WRONG. If they are cheap to begin with, they are cheap at the stand as well. (Ask any first run theatre....the percap always goes down on discount night!)

Re: IS THERE ANY MONEY IN SUBRUN 05 Jan 2001 16:25 #1081

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
Hi J; So many question so little time. First off: when you come into each subjest heading of these forums you'll find at the left a "show X subjects and days" and you should re-set that to show all the posts. Every question you've asked has been answered many a time! They're all great and importatnt questions. Read what's already been posted and then you'll get to the deeper stuff. Sub-run? It depends on your location is what I've seen. Are you near a college? Youth market? What's your population? No one can tell you that one place will or won't work. Magic Johnson is proving a lot of white theatre operators wrong by siting theatres in tough underserved neighborhoods. Why did the big boy shut your theatre down? Is their competition? Etc. Etc. If it was operating well/ was/ then if bought right it should again. Welcome aboard: keep asking questions. Best/ Mike
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: IS THERE ANY MONEY IN SUBRUN 06 Jan 2001 00:00 #1082

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
After spending the past 35 years operating mostly subrun theatres, with great success over most of those years, I'd have to say that presently there is NO money to be made in subrun. Discount run...forget it! 2nd run...maybe if in the right situation, with the perfect theatre, the correct patronage mix etc., but still a difficult sell. Subrun is certainly a situation where I think it hurts you to have too many screens. Two or three at the most. Even a single screen is better then five or six if the single isn't too big with too large of an overhead. Why do I say that? This fall product was so bad that many weeks it was difficult to find one decent picture to fill a single screen, let alone six or seven. If you are losing money with only one screen, just think of how much you would lose on many screens! On top of that, with so few decent pictures you are forced to hold them for many weeks just to keep something on the screens when they did nothing the first week.

I know of some discount theatres in my area that played pictures for weeks doing only 5 or 6 people per night. Sometimes none would show up.

One might say that it's always better to have more then one film to draw an audience, but since any exhibitor would always pick the best available film to present on any given week, and if that film doesn't do any business, how can you expect the lesser pictures to draw anyone?

As much as I hate to say it... I wouldn't recommend opening a subrun theatre to anyone at the present time.

On the other hand...would you like to buy mine?

Re: IS THERE ANY MONEY IN SUBRUN 08 Jan 2001 11:22 #1083

• buddy
  • Fresh Boarder
Could someone please explain the difference between subrun and 2nd run? Also, how long is it before a new movie becomes 2nd run.

Re: IS THERE ANY MONEY IN SUBRUN 08 Jan 2001 17:49 #1084

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Subrun or 2nd run is in reality the same thing in this day and age. Subrun is a shortening of the word Subsequent or subsequent run...any run after first run...or any run after any previous run. Today we have for all intents and purposes three runs...1st run, 2nd run (also know as intermediate run) and discount run (which in effect would be 3rd run).

As it is now time to go off to the theatre to open for the evening, I will go into this in much more detail tonight after the show, but I will put it on the other post..."More Questions About Subrun" See you there later!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction