Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Booking a second Run Theatre
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Booking a second Run Theatre

Booking a second Run Theatre 07 Jan 2001 05:35 #1077

• Bird
  • Senior Boarder
(I read the posts about booking, but require more info!)

I have managed a theatre for 10 years now, and am considering taking over
the ownership of it as well. I know how to do 95% of ALL aspects of running
a theare, except booking the movies, which was never part of my job. I know
we always had a booker, and that booker was basicslly a middle-man between
our company and the film companies.

My question is, If a theatre is second run, does that make a difference in how movies are booked? The theatre is currently
first run, but I am considering making it second run. Also, Just how many weeks/months do second run movies come out before Video now a days?

Any help or contact information on booking would be appreciated.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Booking a second Run Theatre 07 Jan 2001 12:15 #1078

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
We were paying 45.00 a screen to have our theatre booked by a guy I fought with constantly to get the pictures I wanted. "No business!" he's yell at me every time I suggested something. That's 7,020.00 per year. Less phone and postage and that's still real money for our 3 screen. 18,720.00 for a 8 screen! I started calling diustribs and picking every brain I could, making phone calls to the film co's and asking them..."On the QT: could I do this?" They all said Yes! I called other theatre owners...this in the days before the web and options such as this and found many theatre owners booking for themselves. When it came time to do the deed I prepared a press kit on my theatre: photos, newspaper ads, etc. etc. I included that with a good letter and a bunch of concession candy and sent it to the dozen or so companies you'd have to deal with and dove in. The water is fine! They take my calls. they call me. They return calls. And I know that the 7000.00 is money well saved. I have had a total of 3-4 times I could not get a print and that's mostly because I'm a small town theatre. I completely reccomend that single owner single location theatres book their theatres. But you need to study and learn for a short while before you do. If you take over your theatre, keep the booker, but learn the ropes.

There is no difference in 2nd run booking other than there's more attention to % vs flat rate and shipping.

FYI Warner Classics just billed us 90.00 each way for shipping Casablanca!

You need to stay very attuned to video release date (find in BOX OFfice magazine) in the sub run categories!

Read through the back postings here and you'll find great stuff on this subject.

Best wishes and welcome aboard. How did you hear about us?

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction