Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby weekday attendance!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: weekday attendance!

weekday attendance! 13 Jul 2005 09:00 #10647

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
We opened our doors in November of 2003. At that time we were only open Thursday through Sunday. Beginning last December we changed 7 days a week (7pm shows every day plus a Friday late show and weekend matinees). Anywho, I now have several months of data to see how we've performed during these shows. WOW! It has REALLY been worth it!

Overall, Monday-Wednesday shows have been around 25% attended but in the last six weeks that percentage has grown into the upper thirties. Last Monday we nearly sold the place out!

What the heck is going on here? Does your weekday attendance increase during the summer dramatically? WeekEND attendance has been holding itself fairly stable so this is gravy as far as I'm concerned but me likes that gravy!
"What a crazy business"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: weekday attendance! 13 Jul 2005 10:07 #10648

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
I remember when you were considering going to a 7 day operation, and the fact remains that those additional weekdays ARE the "gravy" and can be the difference between win and lose... Your cost for those additional showings is minimal, so whatever additional you pick up is mostly "keeper money."... There is no way to predict when someone will choose to come, but IF you have a picture they want to see, and there is something conflicting going on over the weekend, they'll find a way to see it midweek IF you offer it... Some (like myself) much prefer to see a movie when it ISN'T crowded, so that may also come into play... Whatever the reason, to NOT play your film the full 7 days is to shortchange your potential... In extreme cases I have seen the midweek gross of some pictures exceed the weekend... The situation changes week to week with no predictable pattern, but IF they know you're open and there for them whenever they want to see your picture, you'll come out best in the long pull...

Re: weekday attendance! 13 Jul 2005 10:19 #10649

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Weekday attendence always increases substantiality during the summer months, at least at my theatre, and did at all the theatres that I have owned over the years.

With schools closed and a lot of people on vacation, there are a lot more people available that aren't concerned about getting up for school or work the next day. If you are in a tourist area you may be picking up some of them during the summer as well, especially on the weekdays as they often plan other activities for the prime weekend time.

I experience a slight decrease in my weekend business during the summer, but the increase during the week more then makes up for it. Many people go to the shore or the mountains for weekends during the summer months and thus the drop over the weekend, but they come back to the theatre while home during the weekdays.

I seldom have sellouts on weekdays, except for rainy day matinees, but then I have 557 seats. I often do as many or more per show on a weekday then I do for a weekend show during the summer, while during the rest of the year weekdays would usually do only half of a weekend show.

Enjoy those current weekday figures for the summer, but don't be surprized when they return to near where they were previous to summer after the Labor Day holidays are gone and the kids are back in school.

Re: weekday attendance! 13 Jul 2005 13:07 #10650

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
I have people hired on to handle the shows on Tuesday and Wednesday (my weekend) and I'm concerned that they may not be able to handle the added workload (boy, I never thought I'd be having THIS problem). Maybe I should consider getting some more help during the summer months.....
"What a crazy business"

Re: weekday attendance! 13 Jul 2005 15:21 #10651

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
The rule I live by is "You can't make money if you're not open."

Re: weekday attendance! 13 Jul 2005 18:03 #10652

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Perhaps...

However, the gains in Summertime business could be wiped out during the Winter. There are a couple of theatres up here that extend their schedule during those "gravy" months, then back down to a 4 or 5 day schedule during the school year. As you can imagine, the owner likes this a lot, because it gives him a couple of extra days off during the week that he's already determined will not make him any money.

Take the time to know what your daily cost of business is; seasonal heat & light (which will be turned on earlier in the Winter), labor, and advertising would probably be the big ones. Fixed costs, like rent/mortgage, insurance, etc. are there regardless, and just move over to your open days, if you're calculating like this.

There were days when the cost of turning everything on and paying a couple of staff WAS higher than just leaving it closed mid-week... and in the cases I've noted, the split-schedule didn't seem to confuse the local patronage any.

Re: weekday attendance! 14 Jul 2005 00:26 #10653

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
What happenened to this business is heading for disaster?

Seriously, glad you are doing well. I have decided to open seven days again for the summer months at one, but not both, of my singles.

Re: weekday attendance! 14 Jul 2005 06:42 #10654

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
Burney, why are you only open 7 days a week at one of your houses?

Incidentally, I DO still think there are some fundamental problems in this industry and that it is correcting itself. I DO still think that home video is a very serious and looming threat that is only going to get stronger. However, I can see my words are falling on deaf ears for the most part so I'm calling it quits on this for now. Just don't come whining to me that nobody said anything..........
"What a crazy business"

Re: weekday attendance! 14 Jul 2005 21:23 #10655

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Le Liek Hurley your a true showman and reallyinto giving small towns true entertainment.
I wish you a great summer and hopefulyl it carries over to the fall. It seems liek there is a good winter line up coming so hoepfully this surge of $$$$$ is the begining of the end with the so called demise of theatres!

Re: weekday attendance! 15 Jul 2005 00:27 #10656

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
My second theatre is in a town with a population of 360! Course that doesn't tell the whole story, but ...

Here is an interesting fact/rumor.
Fact: one of my town's two video rental stores closed this week.
Rumor: Owner said it was my fault.

Re: weekday attendance! 15 Jul 2005 19:39 #10657

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Shame on you! Close your theatre immediately!!

Re: weekday attendance! 16 Jul 2005 02:23 #10658

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction