Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A great book!! "Silent Screens"

A great book!! "Silent Screens" 28 Dec 2000 11:06 #1030

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I received this book for my 50th birthday. Silent Screens by Michael Putnam. As well as having great photos of many recycled, lost, or closed theatres it has some of the best writing I've ever encountered explaining what happened to small town and big city American movie theatres in the years from 1950-85. A tremendous read and a long luxurious peek at theatres and a world gone by. I'm glad that my theatre doesn't appear!

The below link will connect you to Amazon's page.....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0801863295/o/qid=978019319/sr=8-1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_3/102-9068079-4879346

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: A great book!! "Silent Screens" 29 Dec 2000 01:36 #1031

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Mike:

I have that book as well (I think I have them all)and it is well worth adding to anyones library that has an interest in the history of theatres, both large and small. Although my theatre has made it into several books on historic theatres, I too am mighty glad not to be in that one. It certainly makes one feel sad seeing what has happened to most of our old theatres. I along with a friend have been active in researching the theatres of Pennsylvania for the past ten years or so, and have visited 80% of the towns in this state. I have seen just what we see in that book hundreds of times over. In 1950 Pa. had over 1,200 single screen theatres. there are now about 120 left (10%), and of those only about 80 operate as motion picture theatres...the rest as community playhouses, performing arts centers,or churches.

I highly recommend that book for all.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction